Are you a plugged-in, twittering ed-tech expert, or a terrified technophobe with a dusty blackboard? If you think you’re brave enough to find out, test yourself against these top ten signs you’re a tech savvy teacher…how many will you tick?!
You’re a Tech Savvy Teacher If…
1. You think PowerPoint is as outdated as flared trousers and lava lamps – your idea of a fantastic slideshow involves moving images, embedded audio and a zooming overview of the whole presentation. No speech you give is complete without Prezi or Sliderocket and you leave your students cheering for more!
3. You don’t own a single book…because you’ve upgraded to the world of online textbooks and e-books! From perusing ancient texts on Project Gutenberg to finding free textbooks at Flat World Knowledge, your reading is exclusively carried out online.
4. You’ve been blogging since everyone else still thought a blog roll was a type of toilet paper and your class blog on global learning community ePals gets thousands of hits per week.
5. Your class routinely visits the Sahara Desert, the Rocky Mountains and the Arctic Circle…no, you’re not a billionaire, nor the master of health and safety forms; you just take your students on incredible virtual field trips using Google Earth, Opentopia and Gigapan.
6. Your dropbox is your castle. You use it to store files from worksheets to collected assignments and its security is paramount to your teaching reign!
8. You can’t remember what a dictionary looks like. Why would you need one, when you’ve been using online tools like Visual Dictionary to enhance the experience of learning new definitions for years?
9. Your students are all published authors. Because you use fantastic online publishing platforms like Tween Tribune, Bitstrips and Mixbook to get them creating lasting projects they can be proud of, from news articles to stories to comic strips.
10. You’re the best connected teacher in your school. With online teaching communities like Edutopia at your fingertips, you’ve always got the scoop on the latest news, technology and resources before anyone else.
What makes you a tech savvy teacher? Share your favourite resources with other educators and let us know what we’re missing using the comments box below!
First picture courtesy of Flickr, Tweek
Second picture courtesy of Flickr, Brandonprinceabroad
Feature picture courtesy of Flickr, DubsarPR