Reading is one of the few activities that every parent, educator and avid reader agrees is essential for children’s development.
For the next 5 days (ending 15th April) Amazon is promoting reading with $35 off its Kindle for Kids Bundle with the latest Kindle E-reader. With distraction-free reading, weeks of battery life and parental controls, the Kindle is one of the best ways to spark that passion for reading.
In her hugely popular post The 5 Benefits of Digital Reading Devices for Boys, author Hillary Tubin discusses why she thinks digital reading devices are the the key to getting kids reading:
- Reading is viewed in a more positive light – Because kids are already comfortable and familiar with devices, they are less resistant to reading on one. Also, the stigma of reading and being stereotyped “a nerd” vanishes.
- Everything is in one place and easy to carry – Many kids want to read certain books but complain how heavy they are to carry. Having every book they own on a digital device immediately removes this barrier.
- Privacy – This benefit is key for kids, especially those struggling with reading. When what they read stays private, they can read whatever they like, free of judgment or stigma.
- Changeability of the font, lighting, and size of the words – When given the chance on a digital device, kids know how to set-up their reading device to work for them, not against them.
- Includes a dictionary and audio book functions – The dictionary is one click away, and so kids are much more willing to look up words and increase their vocabulary.