Four is such a great age.
Big enough to go on daily adventures exploring the world, yet young enough to still listen to parents (most of the time), boys in this age group just LOVE to play! There are so many cool toys to help 4 yr old boys on their journey, it can be hard to choose which ones are right for your child.
That’s why we’ve put the effort into researching this list of the best toys for 4 year old boys. You’ll find below toys for boys with all different interests and play styles. All of them are fun; in addition, these toys help your four year old’s development too.
Our Quick Rundown: The Toptoys for 4 year old boys
- KiwiCo does a great job making the projects age-appropriate for your 4.
- Develops hand-eye coordination and critical thinking in every box.
- You can feel the quality in the sturdiness of each project piece. Your boy won’t easily break these pieces.
- Your child will be learning while having a great time creating. That’s what makes is one of the best toys for 4 year old boys.
- Not every kit has great replay value – but you get a new crate every month.
- Parents need to be involved when creating the projects.
The Koala Crate by Kiwico is a great way to keep your 4 boy engaged throughout the year. This isn’t one toy – instead you buy a three or six month subscription and “crates” are delivered throughout the year. Parents and children work together to create the project for the month and then play with it afterward. We’ve reviewed quite a few over the years – and our reviewer families have raved about how these crates have provided hours of quality parent-child bonding time.
The subject of the kits varies – but you’ll find a parental guide, board book and creative materials for 2-3 projects inside each toy box. The toy projects are fun to play with after you build them – but not all of them have a long life of replayability. Some do, but for others, the creation process is where the fun is at. That’s the genius of these subscription box gifts – even if a child isn’t stoked about a particular crate, there’s a new one to explore coming in a few short weeks.
- Great for social play for your 4 boy
- Different cars and trucks leads to great replay value
- Large size makes it easy for toddlers to assemble on their own
- Combine with other DUPLO sets for more fun!
- Includes cards and instructions
- Sometimes hard to find in stock
- Older preschoolers will want more of a challenge than this set provides.
LEGOs have been a staple under the Christmas tree for years – and this DUPLO My First Cars and Trucks lives up to the LEGO reputation for fun and quality. All young boys enjoy creating exciting toy cars and trucks they can “drive” themselves. It’s a great toy that parents can play with as well – and since there are multiple combinations to make different vehicles, your toys for 4 year old boy will not get bored with this toy.
Since these building toys can be extended by adding other sets to play with, it will grow with your little boy as he goes from being a 4 to a preschooler. The easy portability means you’ll often be packing these DUPLO toys up and bringing them to your child’s friends house. Luckily it’s easy and simple to do!
It’s a great gift for 4. You might want to look around at other DUPLO sets as well – price can often vary widely.
- Made in the USA of BPA-free, recycled milk jugs.
- Easy to clean – it’s dishwasher safe so cleanup is a breeze!
- Your 4 boy will build both fine and gross motor skills playing with this set.
- Great for tub play as well.
- Built to last for years of play.
- You pay extra for the Earth-friendly construction.
If your young ::age:: boy is looking for a toy tea set to go along with tea time, the Green Toys Tea Set is a great choice. he can play while being nice to the environment at the same time. You see, these tea cups, pots, plates, creamer and sugar bowl are all made of food-grade recycled materials. This is awesome because it means you can actually drink from the set without worrying about hot water melting plastic or leeching and undesirable chemicals.
This tea set is wonderful. The toy items are sturdy while still being small enough for little hand’s to easily handle. It is safe to eat and drink from, washes easily, and quite resistant to scratches and blemishes. Some people aren’t aware that toy manufacturers now have to put little holes to prevent suffocation in any toy a young boy might jam in their mouth. The sugar bowl is the one in this set with the holes – so if you pour a powder in the bowl, it won’t stay there!
These cups are kid-sized, not doll-sized – so they’ll be able to drink more than a sip when playing make-believe. It’s one of the best tea sets out there for kids!
- Made in the USA.
- Easy to store – just fold it up and put it away
- Constructed of hard plastic for years of use.
- Great for 4 boys that weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Quick assembly time.
- Made for both inside and outside play.
- The more adventurous children among us may become bored with this slide as they get older.
- More expensive than no-name branded slides. You pay for the Little Tykes brand quality.
Sometimes the weather isn’t good enough to take your child out for playground fun. With the Little Tikes Easy Store Large Slide you can bring the outside fun indoors! This toy is portable – just fold the slide up and easily move it indoors or out.
It’s sturdy enough that you don’t need to worry about your boy tipping this toy over on accident. There’s a wide base and a low center of gravity. The sides of the stairs are a perfect handrail for little hands. Stuffed animals like riding this slide almost as much as little boys!
- There’s nothing better for gaining balance skills to prepare for a “big-boy” bike.
- Looks very similar to bikes ridden by Mom and Dad.
- Provides age-appropriate mobility so he can explore the world.
- No flat tires and limited moving parts make for easy maintenance for parents.
- Helps develop hand-eye coordination and improve motor skills for your 4.
- Not everyone loves the ride of no-air tires due to harder ride.
- The foot rest may rub against the smallest riders feet and ankles depending on their form.
A balance bike is a great choice for your boy that has places to be! Unlike many tricycle or regular bikes, balance bikes don’t have pedals. Instead, kids use their feet to push around “Flintstones-style”. This is much easier for a 4 to master, and helps to quickly develop the balance skills needed to graduate to a regular bicycle.
This bike is adjustable so your child will be able to use it as boy ages. he will likely move to a real bike long before outgrowing this toy.
This model is especially nice because of it’s low center of gravity – it’s easier to control. Most children over 6 will be too big for this balance bike, but it will depend on the height and skill of the individual boy. Each child grows differently.
- Teaches strategic thinking, teamwork, social skills and planning to your 4 boy.
- Has won numerous awards for it’s great mix of fun and skill building.
- Great for playing with children of different maturity levels for boys and girls.
- Good replay value.
- Games are relatively quick – this might be a good thing depending on the situation but something to be aware of.
- Pre-teen children and up won’t be entertained for long.
Most board games for kids are competitive – and frankly there’s nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it’s nice for a family to have a game they work together to win, rather than against each other. This is particularly the case if you have a child that is CONSTANTLY getting beaten at games by an older sibling.
In Peaceable Kingdom, players work together as a team against the game, not each other. Besides creating a team, this allows for your 4 to learn to share, include others, and build up confidence for themselves and teammates. Each player is an owl that has gone out exploring at night, but now needs to get back home before the sun gets up. If all owls get home before the sun comes up, you are a winner!
- Included experiments are age-appropriate and fun for the family to work together.
- Great for bathtub and sandbox play when younger, but grows into science experiments as your child ages.
- High replay value since equipment can be used to do other experiments available for free on the internet.
- While most are common household items, you need to provide the ingredients for the experiments.
Encourage interest in science and experimental learning with this award-winning lab set. The Learning Resources Primary Science Lab set comes with a ton of kid-friendly science tools. All 12 pieces are correctly sized for 4 children to be able to handle.
Younger boys might just use the toy to play make-believe unless you or another adult take them step by step through the instructions. On the other hand, older children can use the included experiment cards to learn more about the physical world around them. Once you’ve gone through all the included experiments, you are free to use the equipment to tackle other experiments about the world around you.
- Easily fits two to three children for great social interactions.
- Nonlinear nature of impromptu shows gives high replay value.
- One of the best toys for developing story-telling ability.
- Doesn’t fold up for storage – an issue if space is tight.
- It’s strictly BYOP – Bring Your Own Puppets.
Your future Oscar winners will love to put their imagination into overdrive when playing with this sturdy puppet theater. The idea of a “stage” allows their creative juices to flow. 4 can take turns creating skits or watching their friends – either way it’s a load of fun.
It doesn’t take long to assemble, and is made of high-quality wood- meaning it should survive through years of play. Expect to see your youngsters coming back to this toy time and time again.
What We Like About The Melissa & Doug Puppet Theater
- Self-propelled nature of toy both builds up muscle development and helps to burn off energy in your 4.
- While relatively easy to use, there is some skill needed to spin fast. This helps to keep the replay value high.
- In simplest terms: Most boys think it’s really fun to spin.
- Really only appropriate for boys who can move about on their own – so you’ll need to judge if your child is ready.
- Not every kid likes to get dizzy. Most parents don’t like to clean up after children that don’t like to get dizzy. :)
The Playskool Sit ‘n Spin is a fun toy geared towards boys developed enough to sit up on their own. Children control their speed through their own arm power, which both allows them to control the speed and burn off tons of energy at the same time. This is especially helpful when kids are cooped up inside during winter months without many outlets for pent-up ::gender::-power. While it’s simple, it is extremely fun. It’s definitely one of the best toys for 4 year old boy.
This isn’t a new toy – I played with and loved one of these as a child myself. They last for many years, and kids will play with them from the pre-2 age all the way up to 6-7 years old.
- Both camera lenses have an 8-megapixel photo resolution to take high-quality photos.
- The camera is designed for kids and is easy to operate.
- The screen is 2.3 inches, which is larger than most camera screens for kids.
- SD memory card isn’t included in the purchase.
The Joytrip Kids Digital Camera is a dual-lens camera with 8 Megapixels and a camcorder with FHD 1080P video resolution that’s perfect for little 4 boy hands! With a 2.3 inches screen, budding photographers can show off their photography skills. The automatic face tracking feature recognizes faces to capture the best smiley moments.
Replaying the videos or look at the funny photos created with the 21 frames creates hours of fun. The 1000mAh lithium rechargeable battery won’t cut the fun-time short because it lasts for 4-6 hours. Recharging takes 4-5 hours.
Hanging the camera around the child’s neck with the lanyard will help keep the camera from falling. If it does fall, don’t sweat it too much. The camera is made of soft silicone material that is safe against a child’s skin and is also shockproof should the camera fall.
The USB charger and a micro SD card reader are included in the package but not the SD card. The camera supports up to a 32 GB card.
- Large selection of instruments means more hours of play and exploration for your 4.
- Multiple toys enable sharing and playing with others.
- Builds hand-eye coordination which is important at this age.
- Very reasonably priced for what you get.
- You and your 4 boy’s idea of “music” are sure to differ. Prepare yourself with earplugs beforehand. :)
Twenty-four months is the earliest most boys express interest in playing with musical instruments. Satisfy that creative curiosity with this set of musical instruments. You’ll get maracas, a xylophone, blocks, a drum and sleigh bells with this set. You’ll also appreciate the carrying bag – it’s great to store the instruments when needed, and will come in handy when you take them for a play date or overnight trip.
The wide range of instruments give your 4 a chance to explore different sounds and styles of musical play. The variety also helps to prevent toy boredom and burnout. As your young boy ages and begins to socialize more, having numerous instruments available provides an easy means to share with other children.
- Worry-free guarantee means you don’t need to worry about giving your 4 a mini-computer that he likely will end up finding a way to break.
- Great for trips, plane rides, or other times a child needs to entertain themselves without being able to move around.
- Included subscription includes a wide variety of children’s books to read – it’s not all fun and games!
- If you haven’t already bought into the Amazon “Co-Prosperity Sphere” of content, you’ll need to – it’s not worth much without the content Amazon provides.
- Amazon parental controls take a little time to learn how to use effectively.
Want to get your 4 a tablet, but afraid of quickly they might break it? The Fire 7 Kids Edition is a great tablet for you.
You get a powerful 7-inch tablet in a kid-proof stand – made for little boys hands to be able to grasp easily. The included year of Amazon Free Time provides access to age-appropriate apps, games, books and content from names you know, like PBS Kids, Disney and Nickelodeon. Parental controls leave you in charge of what your 4 watches.
And since kids will be kids…if he ends up breaking this Kindle during the first two years by dropping, stomping, spilling, throwing or the multitude of other ways kids break toys, you can simply return it to Amazon to get a replacement. That’s the worry-free guarantee.
These devices come with 16GB of internal storage, but you’ll likely want to invest in an SD card to give you some more space to save content for your child. Prices on flash memory have dropped so much you’ll be amazed how much storage you’ll be able to get for cheap.
- It has everything to help put your kid into an imaginary world of fun, quickly.
- Can handle quite a bit of normal-play punishment.
- Some people never outgrow Star Wars – this toy could last for many years of play as your child grows.
- You know how Disney was able to afford to buy the Star Wars franchise? Take a look at the price tag.
- Your child will need at least two of these to play with others.
The only way your little Star Wars fan could have more fun with this toy would be if it were made of plasma, not plastic. It has everything you’d expect – the lights, sounds and feel of a high-quality Disney toy.
It can handle not only imaginary play, but also some real-world swordplay as well. It’s not indestructible – if kids try to break these, they certainly can. But it will hold up well under the normal rigors of daily play.
- Adjustable height means it will grow with your boy.
- Folds down easily for quick storage.
- The different sizes of chalk and markers help develop fine motor skills.
- A great way to share a love of drawing with friends or family.
- This toy requires assembly which can be a deal breaker for some.
If your child is stoked to draw but you don’t want the hassle of buying and throwing away reams of artwork-filled paper, this easel is for you. Both the chalkboard and dry-erase sides are erasable – so when your artist moves on to a new work the board will follow. It can be used on both sides at teh same time so your boy can use this toy to play with a friend at the same time.
The adjustable height is a great feature – your child will be able to use this for years to come without having to hunch over to draw. It comes with chalk and an eraser, along with a brush – but you’ll want to make sure you get more chlak on your own. With how fun this toy is, you’ll need it!
What We Like About The NextX Kids Adjustable Easel
- Great functionality in a small package.
- 4 boys will love playing the role of director with the built-in cameras.
- A lot cheaper than a Fitbit or Apple Watch!
- Heavy video usage can drain the battery in less than a day – not great if you rely on it primarily for a watch.
- Colorful design might seem childish to tween-aged children.
This smartwatch is really a mini-smartphone – without internet access or GPS. Why do I say that? It has 2 cameras, a microphone, games built-in, and can function as a pedometer. That’s a lot of features in a little package!
Parents and kids can download the pictures and videos to a PC where they can be kept or viewed by all. It’s very intuitive to use – and while not waterproof it is “splash proof” so the occasional spill or drop should brick the watch. It’s a great toy if you think your child feels left out not having a “smart” device.
- Toys provides the durability and stability of wood construction
- Every cube face has a new activity to play with – like 5 toys in one.
- Colorful toy will keep your 4 entertained for hours at a time!
- Expect this toys for 4 year old boy to be one handed down to future children in your family.
- It’s a pretty sizable cube; you’ll need some space to store this toy in your playroom.
- Some of the toys on the sides aren’t for the youngest children – they won’t know what to do with them.
You’ve probably seen similar cubes at dentist and doctor offices in the past – but this cube is yours! This farm-themed wooden activity cube is not only 5 different toys in one; it’s also a great toy for your boy to pull themselves up as they learn to stand and walk. It’s very solidly made – it’s a heavy toy since it’s made of wood. Most 4 kids will have fun developing their motor skills as they open doors, move beads up and around poles and interact with a multitude of other activities built-in to this cube.
Some of the sides are meant for slightly older children – you may have to get involved and show your younger child how to use them depending on their age. They will grow into the activities over time. Little hands will get a great workout grasping and moving pieces all around the cube.
- It is very interactive – your child will be able to get deep into the Toy Story universe with this toy.
- It lights up, makes sounds from the movie, and MOVES!
- It’s sturdy – meant to handle drops and falls that come with the territory of being a toy for 4s
- Size is great for easy storage.
- Some people prefer the 11 inch size to this 7 inch toy
- There’s no volume, so it only produces sounds at one level. This could get annoying over time.
Your 4 boy will be ecstatic playing as Buzz with the Disney Pixar Toy Story Ultimate Walking Buzz Lightyear action figure. At seven inches tall, it’s quite easy to fit in a backpack or bag to take to a friend’s house. This toy has ALL the features!
Turn the toy ON by pressing the button under Buzz’s arm. Deploy his wings and hear him say his famous catchphrases by hitting the big red button on his side. Fire his blaster for “laser” lights and authentic blaster sounds.
There’s a great mix of real-world features to go with the make-believe play this toy will instill in young boys. That’s what makes this on of the great toys for 4 year old boy – it’s ability to come alive for your child during play.
- Easy to control and get into the air – but still helps to build patience.
- Flight control builds hand-eye coordination to keep the kite soaring in the air.
- You need to get outside to use this toy – and 4 boy will!
- You’ll need to help younger children with assembly.
- You need some space and decent weather to play with this toy.
Good kites are under-rated toys. There’s something hard-wired in most boys that makes he want to fly a kite on a warm, sunny day. This kite makes that easy enough for 4s.
The design makes it surprisingly easy to get – and stay -airborne. It won’t entertain your children for multiple hours at a time, but they will continue to come back to this toy as they grow through the years. The colorful pattern will bring a smile to both you and your child’s face.
- Allows children to learn the alphabet and reading skill at their own, independent pace.
- Audiobook feature is great for car rides – just use headphones and your child is entertained.
- The pen is well-sized for young hands, and nearly indestructible.
- Workbooks aren’t cheap, and really are one-time-use only.
- The system is easy for kids, but there’s a learning curve for parents to set it up.
This comprehensive learning system will fast-track your child towards reading independence. The Leap Frog turns learning about reading and writing into a game – making learning fun. When your child is done with the initial book and audio titles, there are over 150 more available on a wide range of topics. This means there will be SOMETHING your child wants to read.
One pro tip to keep content costs down – head to your local thrift store or Goodwill to get used books. Just make sure to check they work with the current generation of Tag books.
Helps To Develop: “Communication Development, Focus, Thinking Skills”
- A versatile tent structure with 4 tunnels, 2 tepee tents, and 2 square tents.
- Setting it up is easy and is stored in the storage bag included in the package.
- Tie-downs could break with aggressive tunnel crawling by older kids.
Toddlers would love playing in the UTEX 8 in 1 Play Tent with the connected tents and tunnels. It’s almost like a little village or a maze. Four tunnels connect two square houses and two tents. Build it in a square or a line or connect only a few pieces.
There are enough openings for ventilation or to climb in or out. The tepee tent has a window and a door, and the square house’s opening is on the roof. Hours of imaginative play and adventurous games will take place inside the tunnels and tents.
No tools needed to set up the structure. The play tent for kids meets ASTM-F963 safety standards and CA 65
Our Process For Selecting The Best Toys For 4 boys
We spend weeks writing all of our toy review and gift guides. We know you rely on our input, and we take that trust seriously. Our writers and editors have spent approximately 26 hours researching and testing the most popular toys for 4 boys that you can find on the market in February 2021.
All of this time and resources are spent to bring this toy guide to you – we’ve put in the time to make sure our recommendations are ones you can trust.
We also update these lists daily. That’s because we don’t want to provide you with toys that are no longer in-stock – a gift you can’t buy isn’t worth much to you, no matter how cool it might be. We have reviewed many more toys than we list in this guide – and many of them are good but not quite as great as the ones that made the cut.
As toys move in and out of stock, the list will change. We want this list to help you get the best toys you can for your 4 this Holiday season.
Frequently Asked Questions About Toys for 4-Year-Old Boys
Can siblings share toys?
Toy manufacturers design toys for specific age groups. They take into consideration the development stage and safety features for that particular age. For example, older kids’ toys may have small parts or loose pieces. These toys could be a choking hazard for toddlers 3-years and younger. Older kids may find a toy of a 4-year-old boring. They may deem the toy worthless and could break the toy by inappropriate handling.
If your kids enjoy playing together, make sure there is an adult present to supervise and prevent any mishaps. Younger siblings may not understand the purpose of a toy and may see it as a throwing object or something to bang against the wall. If they break the toy from incorrect handling, you may have a troubled 4-year-old boy.
In a family, toys are often tossed around, and kids play with each other’s toys. Despite the mixing of toys, siblings tend to play with their age-appropriate toys; they may be interested in another child’s toy until they find it too complicated or annoyingly easy. Then they go back to playing with toys for their age.
Can girls play with toys for 4-year-old boys?
Why not? If toys for 4 year old boys interests her, why shouldn’t she play with it? Most toys created and packaged for boys may not be of interest to a girl and vice versa. Then there are lots of toys that would benefit the development of a 4-year-old boy or a 4-year-old girl.
Most of the toys on our list a girl could enjoy as much. For example, jumping on a trampoline is a high physical activity for boys and girls. Playing on the trampoline may develop gymnastic and athletic skills in 4-year-old boys and girls. If your little girl is interested in engineering, she is going to want to play with her brother’s building toys. Your 4-year-old son may be a chief in the making and may have hours of fun cooking and baking with his sister.
Is my four-year-old son ready for problem-solving toys?
Educational toys that focus on solving problems may be the best toy for a 4-year-old with a curious mind. The right toy may challenge your boy and stimulate thinking skills. Choose a toy that is slightly above his comfort zone, a toy that challenges him enough in wanting to solve the problem without frustrating him too much. A too advanced toy may have the opposite effect than a toy that encourages him to develop a skill or learn something new.
Your four-year-old boy may have the right toys to develop new skills, but he doesn’t know how to optimize the toys. For example, blocks are open-ended toys that should satisfy and challenge young minds of different age groups. If your 4-year-old son is used to throwing the bricks and doesn’t understand yet that he could build a tower with the blocks, some guidance from you as a parent could open a new world to him.
My 4-year-old son isn’t stuffing everything in his mouth anymore. Is it still essential to check if toys have toxic ingredients?
Your child’s safety is always the number one concern. Manufacturers consider the children’s age when designing and producing toys. Toys for younger kids generally don’t have small pieces and are made of safe materials. Your 4-year-old son is experiencing the world differently than two years ago. He isn’t sticking everything into his mouth to explore and discover. Although choking hazards aren’t the primary concern for a 4-year-old, keeping your child safe is always a concern.
Therefore, never assume a toy is safe. Always open the package and check the toy before giving it to your 4-year-old boy. Check to see what materials the toy is made of and if there are any sharp pieces. Manufacturers usually indicate what safety standards the toy adheres to. Toys made from toxic materials could irritate your son’s skin. Your son may not stuff things in his mouth, but he could accidentally swallow or inhale something. Accidents happen, and your 4-year-old is still learning coordination skills. Playing with sharp objects could cause accidental injuries and harm your boy.
Toys with batteries may be harmful to young children up to 8-years-old. If your 4-year-old receives a battery-operated toy, make sure the batteries compartment has a screwed-in plate. Young children won’t easily unscrew a plate, but always check the plate for security. Batteries may be safe behind the plate, but sometimes batteries leak or rust, which is harmful to your son. Always check the batteries before allowing the child to play with the toy.
How much physical activity does my 4-year-old son need per day?
Your four-year-old boy needs about one hour of physical activity every day. Toys that enhance physical activity gives him the necessary exercise without much effort from the parent’s perspective. All you need to do is encourage him and react to the “Look Mommy” achievements.
Walking, jumping, running, and climbing are ways to enhance physical activity and teach your son a healthy lifestyle from a young age. Playing with a kite, bouncing on a trampoline, going on a safari adventure with binoculars, or a birdwatching expedition are great toys for active 4-year-olds. With these types of toys, your child exercises without evening realizing it.
Plan his physical activities before a nap or bedtime to tire him and prepare him for a good night’s rest. Joining your 4-year-old in his outdoor play is an excellent way of bonding with him. Balance bikes, flying kites, or playing with a ball are excellent ways dads may spend time with their son.
How do I select the right toy for my 4-year-old son?
Your four-year-old boy’s likes and dislikes are reasonable indications of what type of toy to buy for him. If he likes to be outside, then taking him to the playground or buying toys that he can use outdoors are great choices.
Developing his brain is a key focus when choosing a toy for a 4-year-old boy. Educational toys for 4-year-old boys are designed to stimulate and improve intellectual, emotional, physical, and creative skills in your child. While your boy is developing new skills, he is having fun also.