The secret about a newspaper is the articles are current and of interest to the reader. Some adults will read a newspaper from the front page to the back page. Others will go directly to a specific section, like sports or financial section, in the paper. There are those who like reading the obituaries.
A classroom newspaper has the same function as the daily paper. It provides current news that students want to read about. Also, creating newspaper develops reading, writing and creative skill of the students.
How To Use Newspaper Templates
There are a variety of free newspaper templates to download for various platforms. Most templates are pr-edesigned for ease of use. It allows students to focus on the content of the newspaper without worrying about designing the template.
Before the students can insert the images and articles into the newspaper template, they need to go through the process of creating a newspaper.
Plan the Newspaper
To plan the newspaper students, need to study an actual newspaper, and it’s various sections. During the planning session, they must decide
- The name of the newspaper.
- The number of pages the newspaper will have.
- Who is the editor and what is the editor’s responsibilities?
- Who are reporters and their responsibilities?
- Assigning writer for the various sections of the newspaper: sports, obituaries, comics, ads, local news, opinion page, financial, and photographer.
- The date articles are due for editing.
- Date the newspaper will go to the printer (if printed) and date of publishing the paper.
Each student has their assignment that contributes to the newspaper. They must decide what stories are newsworthy, gather the information, and write the articles.
Stories are submitted to the editor. After editing the articles, the newspaper is prepared to press. The pages layout, artwork, interactive content like puzzles and surveys, and ads are finalized ready for print.
Layout and Design
Ready to use templates doesn’t require designing the newspaper from scratch. Inserting all the content into the newspaper, however, does require certain layout and design.
- Use a standard font and size throughout the newspaper. Body text font size is usually 11 or 12 and larger font size for headings and subheadings. Whitespaces is the margins and gaps between the content that gives the newspaper a clean look.
- All other spaces should be filled with content or images.
- Add the written text first before the images. Images are easier adjusted than changing the length of an article.
Using the Newspaper Template
There are a variety of free newspaper templates to use in Microsoft Word, Google Docs, and PDF format.
Irrespective of the platform, the process is the same.
- Choose the newspaper template you like.
- Download the template.
- After you’ve downloaded it, open the file in Word, Google Docs, or PDF (Word or Mac users).
- If the template is downloaded as a zip file, click on it and select extract all. Then open the folder and select the template document inside the folder.
- Customize the template.
- Insert headings, titles, images, colors, and text.
- Change the font if the template allows you to.
Free Newspaper Templates for Microsoft Word
Microsoft Word Templates are created in boxes, lines, and tables. It is not as easy to edit as the other templates. When changing the format, e.g., decreasing or increasing font size or image, can cause the content to move out of alignment with the boxes and lines. Therefore, be careful when changing anything in the design. Replacing text, headings, or images of the same size won’t affect the alignment.
Most of the free Word newspaper templates available on the web are quite old – many were created over 10 years ago. We’ve slowly been creating our own versions updated for more modern versions of Word. They will be added here as we finish more.
Fractus Learning’s Newspaper Template for Word is created for Microsoft Word versions newer than 2003 – though it may work with older versions as well. This word template (.dotx) has:
- Banner with editable title and icon.
- Featured story with editable image.
- Five smaller article sections.
Each newspaper section is in its own box. Click inside the box and replace the content with your text. Change background colors by right-clicking inside the specific box. Give the newspaper its unique look by changing the background color of the Newspaper Title box to match your school’s colors.
School Newspaper Template has allocated space for various pictures and advertising space. Another easy to edit newspaper template from newspapertemplate.net which will work great for an elementary school newspaper.
Sports Newspaper Template is ideal for a newspaper about the school’s different sports activities or creating a newspaper about one specific sport. The template is a Word document that looks like a newspaper. The newspaper name “Sports” can be changed.
Microsoft Word Newspaper Templates provided for free by Extranewspapers.com.
- Template #1 is a simple template that is fully editable and easy to use. It’s possible to rearrange the articles and items to change the layout of the newspaper.
- Template #2 has a blue theme; the colors are changeable. Duplicate the text boxes for more pages.
- Template #3 is fully editable, including the colors. Replace the images in the template or paste images on the page.
- Template #4 has a glitzy newspaper look. Edit the colors, add new pages or change the layout by moving articles around.
- Template #5 is a great template for a magazine project. Customize the newspaper according to your needs without worrying about designing it from scratch.
- Template #6 requires a little effort to edit. Replace the dummy text with your text. Add pictures in the place of the blue boxes.
Free Newspaper Templates for Google Docs
Google Docs Newspaper Templates. Go to Google Docs on your computer. At the top right click on Template Gallery. Find the newspaper template you want and click on it. A copy opens ready for you to use.
The Changing Times Template has the old-fashioned newspaper look that can give a history assignment a nice touch.
Elementary Student Newspaper Template instructs the student how to create the newspaper. Inside the template, it indicates where to add images, captions, and to insert text.
Colonial Newspaper Template gives project directions on how to create a colonial newspaper.
Newspaper Templates You Can Use for PowerPoint
The free PowerPoint newspaper templates are easy to customize. After you’ve downloaded the template, replace the text and pictures with your text and images.
Free PowerPoint Templates. Template.net provides a variety of free links to 21 Powerpoint templates for students to use.
Newspaper PowerPoint Template has a postal box with an old newspaper inside at the bottom right of the slide. The background is white with a thin border line on the left.