Buying the perfect gift for a fifth-grader may be an interesting experience. Your ten-year-old boy isn’t a toddler anymore, and he isn’t a teenager either. He may think and sound almost like an adult, but he is still a little boy to a certain extent. Don’t fret; we’ve listed the best gifts for elementary-aged kids for this Christmas season.
The exciting dilemma in buying the best gift for 10-year-old boys is discerning what type of gifts he may like. He may be ready for the more mature kind of gifts, or he could still gravitate towards toys for little boys. We’ve spent over 33 hours researching, testing, and reviewing gifts for ten-year-old boys. You may find the perfect gift for your tween in our gift guide. If you’re in a hurry, however, check out the top five gifts at the top. Scroll down, and you’ll find the rest of the list of gift toys.
Each child is different, and your boy is no exception. The gift guide contains a variety of toys that may appeal to boys with different interests. To make it easier to find the perfect gift, check out our headings that gives you an idea of what type of boy would enjoy the toy.
The Rundown: The Top Toy Picks For 10 year old Boys
Collects a whopping 260% more light than a typical beginner-level 60mm refractor telescope - which means hundreds more objects will be visible
This toy tea set is good enough to eat off of - literally! Made of FDA-approved for food-contact materials, your daughter can play pretend and be safe at the same time.
Nurture a curiosity for science by conducting real hands-on experiments with visually appealing tools and easy-to-follow, beginner science activities
This NERF blaster is a perfect mix of power and agility for your backyard battles!
Like moths to a flame, so shall the neighborhood children flock to your yard once you unveil this trampoline!
- The Dobson style means it is much smaller and portable than refractor telescopes.
- This is a serious scope – it will last for many years with proper care.
- Can add additional lenses to see even more universal detail.
- While a younger child could use this, this isn’t meant to be abused. Keep close supervision on younger brothers and sisters.
- No real instructions provided in the box, but plenty available online.
Ever used a telescope and thought “Big Deal”? That’s usually because the images you see aren’t coming in very bright.
When your child has outgrown a more toy-like telescope and is ready to step up to an adult-level, quality tool, the Orion 10014 Skyquest XT is a perfect fit. Due to the much larger aperture, this telescope producers images over 260% brighter than your run-of-the-mill starter telescopes. That means they will be able to see hundreds of more objects from the night sky.
The Dobsonian style means it’s more compact, so it’s easier to transport. Just be careful when moving it. It’s not a toy – it’s not meant to take too much abuse. Try this telescope out, and view the moon – or Venus – and see if you still think “Big Whoop”!
- Made in the USA of BPA-free, recycled milk jugs.
- Easy to clean – it’s dishwasher safe so cleanup is a breeze!
- Your 10 year old boy will build both fine and gross motor skills playing with this set.
- Great for tub play as well.
- Built to last for years of play.
- You pay extra for the Earth-friendly construction.
If your young ::age:: boy is looking for a toy tea set to go along with tea time, the Green Toys Tea Set is a great choice. he can play while being nice to the environment at the same time. You see, these tea cups, pots, plates, creamer and sugar bowl are all made of food-grade recycled materials. This is awesome because it means you can actually drink from the set without worrying about hot water melting plastic or leeching and undesirable chemicals.
This tea set is wonderful. The toy items are sturdy while still being small enough for little hand’s to easily handle. It is safe to eat and drink from, washes easily, and quite resistant to scratches and blemishes. Some people aren’t aware that toy manufacturers now have to put little holes to prevent suffocation in any toy a young boy might jam in their mouth. The sugar bowl is the one in this set with the holes – so if you pour a powder in the bowl, it won’t stay there!
These cups are kid-sized, not doll-sized – so they’ll be able to drink more than a sip when playing make-believe. It’s one of the best tea sets out there for kids!
- Included experiments are age-appropriate and fun for the family to work together.
- Great for bathtub and sandbox play when younger, but grows into science experiments as your child ages.
- High replay value since equipment can be used to do other experiments available for free on the internet.
- While most are common household items, you need to provide the ingredients for the experiments.
Encourage interest in science and experimental learning with this award-winning lab set. The Learning Resources Primary Science Lab set comes with a ton of kid-friendly science tools. All 12 pieces are correctly sized for 10 year old children to be able to handle.
Younger boys might just use the toy to play make-believe unless you or another adult take them step by step through the instructions. On the other hand, older children can use the included experiment cards to learn more about the physical world around them. Once you’ve gone through all the included experiments, you are free to use the equipment to tackle other experiments about the world around you.
- The soft-tip nature of darts means there is virtually no chance of damaging property or other children while playing with these toys.
- Gun is lightweight enough that most school-aged children can participate in the fun.
- Real camaraderie is built up among teammates.
- Darts are easy to lose. They especially seem to find their way into the vacuum cleaner. You’ll want to buy some extras.
- There are many Nerf Blaster choices – so your child may prefer a toy for a different playstyle.
Nerf dart blasters are a perennial favorite of boys and girls everywhere. The N-Strike Elite Strongarm Blaster is no exception to this rule. With this blaster gun, you’ll be able to fire 6 darts in a row up to 90 feet. Just slam the slide to reload and you are on your way. That’s right, this blaster doesn’t require batteries.
While fine to shoot at targets by yourself, the real fun comes when a group of boys organize into teams and play tag or other games. Kids learn to implement strategy, cooperate with teammates and burn off a ton of energy running around outside while working to tag opposing team members.
- Jumping helps your 10 year old boy develop muscles and balance while burning off energy.
- Tramp comes with a long list of safety features to make jumping as safe as it can be.
- Your kid’s friends will always be over at your place when you are the ‘trampoline house’.
- Parents need to supervise play – there are dangers involved if instructions aren’t followed.
- This isn’t a small toy. You need to have dedicated space in your backyard to set up and jump.
As we mentioned in our outdoor trampolines review, we think this toy is a winner. Safety is a prime concern in the design of this model. It’s so important, Skywalker has made sure this model exceeds all American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) requirements.
We like the ‘W’ supports – they give more stability to the trampoline. The padded poles and enclosure net are well-made and help to keep your 10 year old is safe. The basketball hoop is a nice touch – it has a breakaway rim and even comes with 2 basketballs. It’ll keep your children and friends entertained for hours at a time. A great gift.
- Active noise cancellation makes them great for car or air travel.
- Long battery life means they can be used all-day.
- Fold-able for easy storage
- Also comes with a 3.5mm cord for wired use.
- While better for noise reduction, ear-cup design can make some ears uncomfortable.
- Plastic headband designs are nearly always weaker than metal ones. These won’t be indestructible.
Everyone likes to listen to their music, videos and games with a good set of headphones. These active noise-cancelling headphones are a good deal for the price. You get dual microphone cancellation technology, along with the option of either using a Bluetooth or wired connection to your device. That’s nice because kids (and adults) will forget to charge these headphones on occasion, but you’ll still be able to use them.
These aren’t going to compete with $400 headphones – but at well under $100 you’ll have trouble finding anything better. The plastic headband is well made, but might eventually break if you have a large head. A nice hard case will help ensure your boy doesn’t accidentally break the headphones by stepping on them.
I like the noise-canceling feature because it’s really handy when trying to study or traveling by plane – and with how well constructed these headphones are your child will likely end up having a chance to do both while owning them. They also function as a headset for talking on the phone as well.
- Quick enough to be fun, but not as fast as some bigger models.
- Soon will become a child favorite for expressing growing independence
- Will last for years with proper maintenance.
- Easy to transport – handlebars detach easily with a tool.
- The handbrake by itself can be inadequate – so teach your child to steer out of harms way along with braking.
- Your child needs to be mature enough to understand the road laws in your area to use this toy.
Electric scooters for kids are a fast and simple way to get around. The Razor E100 Electric Scooter is a nice tradeoff of speed and handling for a 10 year old rider. You’ll get a scooter, battery and battery charger all included in the box. Assembly is minimal – just charge up the scooter overnight and go.
Since this scooter can go as fast as 10 mph, it’s a good idea to find a protected area for your boy to practice. It’s not quite like riding a bike – it will take a little while to master. Check your local laws to see if it’s legal to ride on the street near the curb or on the sidewalk. Different towns have different rules – and unless you want to give your kid an introduction to the legal system at this age, it’s better to find out ahead of time!
The build is solid. Younger and smaller riders will be able to easily fit both feet side-by-side on the base. Length or riding time will depend on how many hills you ride, how much your child weighs, and how hard they ride – but 30 – 50 mins seems to be about average before needing a charge.
- Both camera lenses have an 8-megapixel photo resolution to take high-quality photos.
- The camera is designed for kids and is easy to operate.
- The screen is 2.3 inches, which is larger than most camera screens for kids.
- SD memory card isn’t included in the purchase.
The Joytrip Kids Digital Camera is a dual-lens camera with 8 Megapixels and a camcorder with FHD 1080P video resolution that’s perfect for little 10 year old boy hands! With a 2.3 inches screen, budding photographers can show off their photography skills. The automatic face tracking feature recognizes faces to capture the best smiley moments.
Replaying the videos or look at the funny photos created with the 21 frames creates hours of fun. The 1000mAh lithium rechargeable battery won’t cut the fun-time short because it lasts for 4-6 hours. Recharging takes 4-5 hours.
Hanging the camera around the child’s neck with the lanyard will help keep the camera from falling. If it does fall, don’t sweat it too much. The camera is made of soft silicone material that is safe against a child’s skin and is also shockproof should the camera fall.
The USB charger and a micro SD card reader are included in the package but not the SD card. The camera supports up to a 32 GB card.
- Worry-free guarantee means you don’t need to worry about giving your 10 year old a mini-computer that he likely will end up finding a way to break.
- Great for trips, plane rides, or other times a child needs to entertain themselves without being able to move around.
- Included subscription includes a wide variety of children’s books to read – it’s not all fun and games!
- If you haven’t already bought into the Amazon “Co-Prosperity Sphere” of content, you’ll need to – it’s not worth much without the content Amazon provides.
- Amazon parental controls take a little time to learn how to use effectively.
Want to get your 10 year old a tablet, but afraid of quickly they might break it? The Fire 7 Kids Edition is a great tablet for you.
You get a powerful 7-inch tablet in a kid-proof stand – made for little boys hands to be able to grasp easily. The included year of Amazon Free Time provides access to age-appropriate apps, games, books and content from names you know, like PBS Kids, Disney and Nickelodeon. Parental controls leave you in charge of what your 10 year old watches.
And since kids will be kids…if he ends up breaking this Kindle during the first two years by dropping, stomping, spilling, throwing or the multitude of other ways kids break toys, you can simply return it to Amazon to get a replacement. That’s the worry-free guarantee.
These devices come with 16GB of internal storage, but you’ll likely want to invest in an SD card to give you some more space to save content for your child. Prices on flash memory have dropped so much you’ll be amazed how much storage you’ll be able to get for cheap.
- It has everything to help put your kid into an imaginary world of fun, quickly.
- Can handle quite a bit of normal-play punishment.
- Some people never outgrow Star Wars – this toy could last for many years of play as your child grows.
- You know how Disney was able to afford to buy the Star Wars franchise? Take a look at the price tag.
- Your child will need at least two of these to play with others.
The only way your little Star Wars fan could have more fun with this toy would be if it were made of plasma, not plastic. It has everything you’d expect – the lights, sounds and feel of a high-quality Disney toy.
It can handle not only imaginary play, but also some real-world swordplay as well. It’s not indestructible – if kids try to break these, they certainly can. But it will hold up well under the normal rigors of daily play.
- The included cloak is an EXACT replica of the movie prop on display in the official Warner Bros studio tour in London.
- It’s going to be THE GIFT for Harry Potter fans in 2022.
- The cloak, standalone, is of nice construction. The added invisibility effect is a nice addition!
- Phone must be still in the tripod to get the “invisible” effect to work.
- Deluxe version is nice and completely true to the movie, but can be a bit pricey. The standard version doesn’t include the tripod either.
What kid hasn’t at some point wanted to be invisible? I know I thought the Invisibility Cloak from the Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone would have awesome to own. And now you can!
This 2020 Toy of the Year finalist is an exciting augmented reality toy. This official Warner Bros. Invisibility cloak costume perfectly replicates the cloak from the Harry Potter series’ magical properties.
How does it work? It works with an associated phone app – so you can save – and share – your invisible scenes. It’s easy to save stills or videos to your devices’ camera roll for later viewing fun. If you or your children haven’t played with a “green screen” before, you are in for a treat.
In addition to the A-R aspect of this gift, it’s also a great Harry Potter toy and collector item on it’s own. If your 10 year old boy is into Harry Potter dress up or Cosplay, he’ll appreciate this gift!
- Great functionality in a small package.
- 10 year old boys will love playing the role of director with the built-in cameras.
- A lot cheaper than a Fitbit or Apple Watch!
- Heavy video usage can drain the battery in less than a day – not great if you rely on it primarily for a watch.
- Colorful design might seem childish to tween-aged children.
This smartwatch is really a mini-smartphone – without internet access or GPS. Why do I say that? It has 2 cameras, a microphone, games built-in, and can function as a pedometer. That’s a lot of features in a little package!
Parents and kids can download the pictures and videos to a PC where they can be kept or viewed by all. It’s very intuitive to use – and while not waterproof it is “splash proof” so the occasional spill or drop should brick the watch. It’s a great toy if you think your child feels left out not having a “smart” device.
- The cards are really creative – from Super Fertile Unicorn to Fat Unicron, you never know what you’ll get.
- There’s enough strategy in this game – but not too much – that’s a great introduction to more detailed strategy card games.
- Only takes 3-4 rounds before you completely understand how the game works.
- High replay value – and can pick up and finish a game in under an hour.
- This game is the opposite of a cooperative game – if you don’t like having loved ones sabotaging your plans, this isn’t the game for you.
- Best played with 4 or more players.
Unstable Unicorns is still one fo the Top 50 most backed projects on Kickstarter, and for good reason. This card game is quick to learn and play, but it’s not easy to master. You are trying to build your Unicorn army to full-strength – but so is everyone else at the table. Note: these unicorns aren’t warm and fuzzy – think Pegasus not My Little Pony.
Skill is important, but there is a lot of unpredictability due to the draw of the card deck which means anyone has a chance to win a particular game. Detailed instructions are available online – they are better than the ones in the box and will get you up and playing in no time.
Codey Rocky is a GREAT toy for learning how to code. 10 year old programmers can use the associated app to get up and running quickly. There’s plenty to do with this robot without moving on from just app-based play. Your inquisitive boy can move and play with the robot really quickly in this mode.
Once the Codey Rocky is attached to your PC you can use an easy-to-learn block-based language to program the robot. If this is too limiting, you can also use the popular programming language python to expand your choice enormously. This should give your 10 year old years of play as your child moves up the programming skill curve.
- Easy to control and get into the air – but still helps to build patience.
- Flight control builds hand-eye coordination to keep the kite soaring in the air.
- You need to get outside to use this toy – and 10 year old boy will!
- You’ll need to help younger children with assembly.
- You need some space and decent weather to play with this toy.
Good kites are under-rated toys. There’s something hard-wired in most boys that makes he want to fly a kite on a warm, sunny day. This kite makes that easy enough for 10 year olds.
The design makes it surprisingly easy to get – and stay -airborne. It won’t entertain your children for multiple hours at a time, but they will continue to come back to this toy as they grow through the years. The colorful pattern will bring a smile to both you and your child’s face.
- Learn about the world through fun projects every month
- Gift will continue to be appreciated month-0after-month as new crates arrive.
- It’s great for boys to show creativity and appreciation for the world they live in.
- At this age, most of the projects can be completed with very little parental help. This builds self-confidence.
- Not every child is into exploring other cultures. If your kid is in this category, this toy isn’t for them.
The Atlas Crate by Kiwico is perfect for 10 year old boys that love traveling and learning more about the world. This package isn’t one toy – instead, you buy a one-time subscription and “crates” are delivered throughout the year. The Atlas Crate is different than most subscription crates – focused more on different places and cultures around the world.
As the crates come month after month and more projects are completed, your child will build their own adventure book. My child really loved building his own globe in one project. If your kid is interested in the people in the world and the places they come from, this gift will be appreciated.
Our Process For Selecting The Best Toys And Gifts For 10 year old boys
We spend weeks writing all of our toy review and gift guides. We know you rely on our input, and we take that trust seriously. Our writers and editors have spent approximately 33 hours researching and testing the most popular toys for 10 year old boys that you can find on the market in June 2022.
All of this time and resources are spent to bring this toy guide to you – we’ve put in the time to make sure our recommendations are ones you can trust.
We also update these lists daily. That’s because we don’t want to provide you with toys that are no longer in-stock – a gift you can’t buy isn’t worth much to you, no matter how cool it might be. We have reviewed many more toys than we list in this guide – and many of them are good but not quite as great as the ones that made the cut.
As toys move in and out of stock, the list will change. We want this list to help you get the best toys you can for your 10 year old this Holiday season.
How To Choose Appropriate Toys For Ten-Year Old Boys
As a 5th grader, your 10-year old boy is finishing with elementary school. Although not a teenager yet, he feels all grown-up while his parents see him as a child. Your tween is old enough to understand social cues, to be self-aware, and even the onset of puberty. Development is critical at this stage, and age-appropriate toys will help him through this transitional phase.
Although they are becoming more independent daily as their social skills and personalities develop, tweens still need their parents to steer them in the right direction. Toys can help parents accomplish this.
What Developmental Skills Are Nurtured By Great Toys
Age-appropriate toys can strengthen a tween’s development skills and give him the sense of accomplishment he desires. While toys differ, a good toy will satisfy his development needs.
When we created this list of the Best Toys for 10-Year Old Boys, we first looked at the most pressing skills for this age group. Then we searched for toys that would build these abilities while being fun to play with.
Here’s a list of skills we think are most important to be strengthened by toys and play for a boy still in elementary school.
He enjoys playing outside, especially if the toys let him practice his athletic abilities. If he favors a specific sport, choosing toys for him will be easy. Any toy that he can play outside and simultaneously help him develop skills in his chosen sport will be a winner in this 10-year old’s eyes.
These types of toys will also help him explore his athletic abilities if he’s unsure about what type of sport he’d like to play.
His body is growing fast, and it needs the exercise to keep him fit.
Team sports will help build social relationships. Boys tend to establish friendships through mutual interests. Toys that enhance teamwork and group activities will help your tween fit in and feel part of a group.
Sharing secrets and having private conversations with friends is normal at this age. Various toys will inspire this secretive kind of play with codes, passwords, secret languages, and puzzles.
Deeper Thinking Skills
Pattern recognition, critical thinking, and other problem-solving toys will inspire your son to develop deeper thinking skills. A 10-year old’s mind is ready for these types of challenges. His learning abilities escalate enabling him to tackle mental math problems, to research topics online or in the library, and to work on more complicated assignments.
With the increased attention span, he will appreciate more complex toys.
A 5th grader’s reading skills are good enough for him to want to show off. Toys that inspire him to read stories or instructions to help him play the game will enhance his reading skills even more.
He can communicate using logic, form arguments, discuss viewpoints and have his own opinions. Toys relevant to his hobbies and interests can strengthen these skills.
Consider These 6 Toy Qualities When Out Shopping For Your Gift
Safety precautions aren’t necessarily for the toy itself but the sport or activity that requires safety gear. Helmets, life jackets, goggles, and pads for knees and elbows will help reduce accidents.
Toys that have electrical parts shouldn’t be used without adult supervision.
Although your tween is developing judgment, he isn’t ready to know when speed is safe and when not.
Casings and containers need to endure as much handling as the toy itself. Many craft, hobbies, and accessories have casings to keep the parts together. If made of a poor quality material the casing will break, scattering the various pieces. If pieces are lost, some toys can be used anymore.
The durability of sports equipment, toys for outside play, and other indoor activities depend on how the child uses the toy as well as the material it is made of.
Buying toys to challenge the physical endurance and mental alertness of a 10-year old boy is an adventure. His problem-solving, competitive, and eager to learn abilities are developing at an astounding pace that toys should keep up with.
Simple toys will bore him. He is ready to be challenged but needs the affirmation of succeeding too.
Playing with friends is fun. Team sports, outdoor and indoor activities teach the children teamwork and communication in crowds while the boys are having fun.
Toys that help develop their deeper thinking skills will delight your tween, especially if it contains secrets like codes and passwords he can share with friends.
The lifespan of sports and safety equipment and toys to experiment with is short-lived. Your 10-year old’s eagerness ensures the toy will be used to its full potential, but it doesn’t guarantee the toy will survive as a hand-me-down.
Other types of toys will survive the tween and will still be fun to play with as a teenager.
Warranty and Warning Labels
Warranty varies on average from 1 to 2 years. Some manufacturers provide a money-back guarantee if unsatisfied with the toy.
Warning labels are there for safety precautions. Before purchasing a toy for a tween, read the age-appropriate labels. Make sure the boy is mature enough for the toy, even if it is for a 10-year old.Ten
Frequently Asked Questions About Gifts for Ten-Year-Old Boys
My ten-year-old son doesn’t like sports. How can I interest him in sports?
Some boys aren’t interested in sports; other boys haven’t found the right enticing sports. Perhaps he may enjoy group sports that he hasn’t been exposed to yet.
Going to middle school may help your son with group activities. Until now, it wasn’t a major priority in his life. If he looks interested in sports but doesn’t actively take part, it may be that he is still searching for the right sports. Giving your son sports-related gifts may help him discover the kind of sports he likes. Taking him to sports events may also motivate him to play sports.
If your boy, however, isn’t interested in sports at all, then let it go and buy him gifts that relate to his hobbies and interests. If he isn’t interested in sports doesn’t mean he won’t appreciate gifts that focus on a physical activity like a bike, a go-kart, skateboard, or snowboard.
How do I get my ten-year-old son off the computer and playing outside?
The best way is to unplug your kid. Be strict about limiting his screen time. Perhaps allow him screen time over weekends but not on school nights. Set the boundaries and stick to your decisions.
Entice him to play outside with gifts that combine outdoors and technology gadgets. For example, a smartwatch with games and a timer or a camera with some cool features may lure him outside.
Give him gifts that coincide with the type of video games he likes to play. If he has a superhero, get him a superhero cape. If he enjoys shooting games, get him a nerf gun or bow and arrow set for target practicing outdoors. If racing is his thing, why not introduce him to go-karting, skateboarding, or even a cool bike with accessories.
How do I introduce learning gifts to my son, who isn’t interested in learning toys?
Learning toys may overwhelm your ten-year-old son, and therefore he pretends he isn’t interested. Buy him a more basic type of science experiment kit, building model, or technology toys.
Start with gifts that have a few features that he can easily comprehend and use. When he has mastered the more straightforward gifts, introduce him to more intricate gifts of the same type. You may even give him a LEGO set or science kit that is recommended for a younger age.
Help him overcame the awkwardness of not understanding the gift by playing with him and showing him how the works. When he gets used to the idea of playing with a toy that doesn’t have limited boundaries, he may also discover the fun of expanding his creativity and the lure of successful experiments, and the fun of creating flops.
How do I limit his injuries when riding a bike, a scooter, or skateboarding?
Accidents are going to happen; he is a boy after all, and he is going to push himself and the gift to its limits. A ten-year-old boy on a bike, a scooter, rollerblades, go-karts, or skateboard means a high probability of accidents. When you buy your son that scooter or bike as a birthday gift or for Christmas, give him the safety gear too.
Teach him from a young age that the helmet, kneepads, gloves, and goggles are an intricate part of the bike, scooter, go-kart, or skateboard. Explain to him the importance of wearing safety gear. You may even forbid him to play with his toys if he doesn’t wear the helmet and knee pads.
It’s a habit he should form at a young age. As he grows older, his tricks become riskier, and so does his toys. You will be thankful that you taught him at a young age to always wear the helmet.
Are the gifts only for boys, or can girls play with the toys too?
The most significant difference between the similar type of gifts for ten-year-old boys and girls is the way it looks. Most toys for girls are pink, purple, or softer tones, whereas gifts for boys tend to be brighter and stronger tones. The gift itself is possibly the same. Manufacturers supply gifts in various colors because they know tastes differ.
There are no reasons why a girl can’t play with any of the toys in the gift guide and vice versa. The most celebrated chefs in the world are men. If your son is interested in his sister’s cooking or baking toys, why not? If being a chef isn’t his dream, but he still enjoys playing with kitchen equipment, he is developing fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, and other essential skills and abilities. It doesn’t matter what gifts they play with as long as they have fun and strengthen and develop the necessary skills for their age group.
It is more important to ensure your son is playing with toys for his recommended age than worrying if it is a boy’s or a girl’s toy. The age-appropriate toys are designed to help enhance the skills for that age group.