Shopping for toys for 2 year old boys doesn’t have to be a chore. It’s fun because they are finally old enough to express their personality. They can make some suggestions based on their interests at this age. Compared to a few short months ago when they really couldn’t communicate, it’s a lot easier to get them something they will enjoy.
Of course, this depends on you being luckily enough to know your 2 year old well. It becomes a little more difficult if you don’t have the chance to spend much time with them.
Luckily for you, we’ve put in hours of work coming up with a series of age-appropriate gift guides to help you out. Boys and girls this age are full of questions – about the world, life, and almost everything else. It’s important to take that into account when toy shopping for them. We’ve selected the top toys this season for young boys, and broken them out farther by age. While we have our best picks, any of these toys should bring a smile to your special two-year-olds face.
The Quick Rundown: Our Top toys for 2 year old boys
Designed by experts and backed by researchers at Seattle Children’s Hospital to help 2 year olds learn by doing what they do best - play & explore their world!
It's amazing how quickly this toy will become your infant's favorite friend!
Radio Flyer My 1st Scooter is a beginner’s ride for toddlers who wants wheels but are still developing their balancing and coordination skills.
An outstanding choice for toddlers that love vehicles - and what toddler doesn't?
This toy tea set is good enough to eat off of - literally! Made of FDA-approved for food-contact materials, your daughter can play pretend and be safe at the same time.
The Banzai 54 inches Sprinkle and Splash mat is ideal for toddlers to get used to playing in the water before they advance to a pool.
- Can buy as a one-off gift, or get a subscription to keep the learning experience going month after month.
- Each month provides helpful tips for parents to promote healthy childhood development in their 2 year old
- Subscription ensures learning continues throughout the year – after some Christmas toys have long been forgotten on the shelf.
- Easy to pause or stop a subscription.
- You need to have some time to spend doing the activities with your 2 year old boy. They aren’t hands-off in nature.
- The crates are somewhat expensive, but very reasonable when bought with a coupon or on sale. Check back if it’s not on sale today.
The Panda Crate is a unique gift for your 2 year old boy. It’s a toy subscription that changes month-to-month. The focus for children at this age is on learning activities along with play that’s just for fun. All of it is backed by research from a team at Seattle’s Children’s Hospital.
Each crate contains activities for children at separate developmental stages. There are prebuilt toys, projects to work on with your little boy, and a board book for you and your kid to read together. It’s a great gift for a 2 year old because the subscription means they will be getting new and interesting toys to play with throughout the year.
- Will keep young children entertained for hours on end. It’s fun.
- boys love to grab, smack and chew on the many arms. This is great for building their hand-eye coordination.
- It is soft, durable, and washable. Your 2 year old should outgrow this toy well before the toy begins to age.
- Some children become so attached to it, you’ll have trouble on your hands if you lose it.
- Not much value for most children over one to two years old.
This is hands-down the favorite affordable toys for 2 year old boy by the staff at Fractus Learning. Hanging from the handle of you car seat, the Whoozit quickly becomes a member of your family. In my family we named ours ‘Mr. Hands’ – other staffers had different names for this cute toy.
It’s a wonderful toy for hand-eye coordination – infants love to grab and move the soft, smiling character to hear the rattle sound it makes. It’s also chew-able, and strong enough to take sibling punishment from multiple children over the years. We kept our same toy for all three of our kids.
If you don’t know whether your little boy has this gift already or not – go ahead and buy it. It’s a thoughtful gift, and no one really minds have an extra around. boys become attached to the smiling face, and it can be an minor crisis issue if you misplace this toy for any amount of time.
- The low deck is close to the ground to limit injuries when your toddler falls.
- The base is broad and textured to make balancing easier and avoid slipping.
- Hand grips are comfortable for small hands.
- It may be slow, but it is designed for novice riders
The Radio Flyer My 1st Scooter is one of the best outdoor toys for toddlers who want the wheels but are still developing their balancing and coordination skills. The scooter is designed to boost your toddler’s riding fun while keeping them safe as they develop necessary skills.
A broad base help with better balance. As a beginner on their first scooter, your toddler must concentrate on many aspects that are foreign to them. The broad base makes it easier for them to balance without falling or slipping off a narrow base when trying to move forward. It is also textured so that beginner rider will stay on the deck and not slip off during movement.
When your toddler does fall with the scooter, and they all do, the base is low to the ground. They may end up with a few scrapes and a dented pride, but they won’t fall far with the deck close to the ground.
The handgrips are comfortable to hold onto and the right size for small hands.
Two wheels in the front maximize the scooter’s stability, ensuring the toddler is safe on the scooter. It won’t topple or tip while your toddler is learning how to ride the scooter and keep their balance at the same time. Another safety feature is the turning radius that is designed for the best mobility without being unsafe.
The scooter is available in red and pink colors. The classic model has a foot brake; the sport model doesn’t.
- Great for social play for your 2 year old boy
- Different cars and trucks leads to great replay value
- Large size makes it easy for toddlers to assemble on their own
- Combine with other DUPLO sets for more fun!
- Includes cards and instructions
- Sometimes hard to find in stock
- Older preschoolers will want more of a challenge than this set provides.
LEGOs have been a staple under the Christmas tree for years – and this DUPLO My First Cars and Trucks lives up to the LEGO reputation for fun and quality. All young boys enjoy creating exciting toy cars and trucks they can “drive” themselves. It’s a great toy that parents can play with as well – and since there are multiple combinations to make different vehicles, your toys for 2 year old boy will not get bored with this toy.
Since these building toys can be extended by adding other sets to play with, it will grow with your little boy as he goes from being a 2 year old to a preschooler. The easy portability means you’ll often be packing these DUPLO toys up and bringing them to your child’s friends house. Luckily it’s easy and simple to do!
It’s a great gift for 2 year old. You might want to look around at other DUPLO sets as well – price can often vary widely.
- Made in the USA of BPA-free, recycled milk jugs.
- Easy to clean – it’s dishwasher safe so cleanup is a breeze!
- Your 2 year old boy will build both fine and gross motor skills playing with this set.
- Great for tub play as well.
- Built to last for years of play.
- You pay extra for the Earth-friendly construction.
If your young ::age:: boy is looking for a toy tea set to go along with tea time, the Green Toys Tea Set is a great choice. he can play while being nice to the environment at the same time. You see, these tea cups, pots, plates, creamer and sugar bowl are all made of food-grade recycled materials. This is awesome because it means you can actually drink from the set without worrying about hot water melting plastic or leeching and undesirable chemicals.
This tea set is wonderful. The toy items are sturdy while still being small enough for little hand’s to easily handle. It is safe to eat and drink from, washes easily, and quite resistant to scratches and blemishes. Some people aren’t aware that toy manufacturers now have to put little holes to prevent suffocation in any toy a young boy might jam in their mouth. The sugar bowl is the one in this set with the holes – so if you pour a powder in the bowl, it won’t stay there!
These cups are kid-sized, not doll-sized – so they’ll be able to drink more than a sip when playing make-believe. It’s one of the best tea sets out there for kids!
- Gentle sprinkles and sprays familiarize your toddler with outdoor water play.
- The versatility of sprinkles to run through on the outside and the soft spray while sitting in the water is a fun way to cool off on a hot summer’s day.
- Do not place on hard surfaces where toddlers may injure themselves if they slip.
The Banzai Sprinkle and Splash Play Mat is perfect for keeping toddlers cool and fresh on a summer’s day. It’s also great for familiarizing them with water fun. If your toddler isn’t ready for an inflatable pool but wants the water entertainment, then the sprinkler play mat is an excellent toy. When they are ready, you can advance them to a pool where they can practice their swimming skills.
Who doesn’t love running around in a sprinkler? The rim of the mat functions as a sprinkler with the gentle water spraying upward. The inside of the mat holds about 1.8 inches of water for more relaxing water fun.
Made from a durable PVC material, the splash play mat attaches to a garden hose to create the constant water flow. After playtime, drain the water by holding the play mat upside down with the drain at the bottom. Allow drying to avoid unnecessary mildew forming.
Be mindful that toddlers and kids are developing and strengthening their balancing and coordination skills. They may lose their balance and slip in the water. To prevent unnecessary injuries, set up the playmat on a soft surface like grass instead of concrete.
- Made in the USA.
- Easy to store – just fold it up and put it away
- Constructed of hard plastic for years of use.
- Great for 2 year old boys that weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Quick assembly time.
- Made for both inside and outside play.
- The more adventurous children among us may become bored with this slide as they get older.
- More expensive than no-name branded slides. You pay for the Little Tykes brand quality.
Sometimes the weather isn’t good enough to take your child out for playground fun. With the Little Tikes Easy Store Large Slide you can bring the outside fun indoors! This toy is portable – just fold the slide up and easily move it indoors or out.
It’s sturdy enough that you don’t need to worry about your boy tipping this toy over on accident. There’s a wide base and a low center of gravity. The sides of the stairs are a perfect handrail for little hands. Stuffed animals like riding this slide almost as much as little boys!
- With a few snaps and the slide is assembled ready for your toddler to have fun.
- Climbing the ladder and sliding down the slide promotes fitness, coordination, and balance.
- You may assume the handles, and step ladder is securely in place. Make sure you hear the snap that locks it securely.
With a few quick snaps and the Little Tikes Slide is assembled and ready as the first slide for your toddler. Your toddler may play on the slide indoors or outside in the backyard on a soft play surface. Keep in mind that as a beginner, you don’t want your toddler to land on a hard surface, injuring themselves when they come down the slide.
The blue step ladder steps are a decent height for young legs and have handlebars at the top to help them up and into a sitting position. The slide is 3-feet tall, which is high enough for a toddler slide. The red slide is 5-feet in length, which is the right length for a beginner to have fun without losing their balance or getting stuck halfway.
There’s no stopping your kids from sliding down and climbing back up, using all the energy playing outside. It also improves their balance and coordination skills. When it’s time for bed, the slide folds to be stored against the bedroom wall or in tight places.
Make sure you assemble the slide correctly. The pieces snap into place; you need to press hard. If the handles dislodge easily, then it isn’t securely fitted.
- The basketball set adjusts according to a growing child ensuring longer-lasting play.
- The oversized hoop motivates easy scoring while your kids build confidence and improve their hand-eye coordination skills.
- The hoop may come loose with rough play.
If you have a budding basketball player in your family, then the Little Tikes Easy Score Basketball set will inspire your toddler to start practicing their skills. With the oversized hoop and three kid-sized basketballs, toddlers and preschoolers will comfortably throw the ball in the hoop. It allows for easy scoring that builds confidence and motivates continuous play.
The toy basketball set is one of the best outdoor toddler toys to inspires toddlers and kids to play independently. It improves their social skills when playing together with siblings or friends. Gripping the ball and throwing it into the net strengthens coordination and balancing skills. Although the oversized hoop makes scoring easier, it does improve hand-eye coordination because they need to aim to throw the ball through the hoop.
The hoop adjusts in height from 2.5 to 4 feet to accommodate little ones and adapt to them growing in stature. For little kids, fit the hoop to be at their height so they can practice throwing the ball into the hoop. For older toddlers, challenge them by adjusting the hoop height above their heads, so they need to stretch to throw the ball in the hoop.
The base can be weighted with sand for more stability, ensuring the hoop stays stable and doesn’t tip during rough play.
- There’s nothing better for gaining balance skills to prepare for a “big-boy” bike.
- Looks very similar to bikes ridden by Mom and Dad.
- Provides age-appropriate mobility so he can explore the world.
- No flat tires and limited moving parts make for easy maintenance for parents.
- Helps develop hand-eye coordination and improve motor skills for your 2 year old.
- Not everyone loves the ride of no-air tires due to harder ride.
- The foot rest may rub against the smallest riders feet and ankles depending on their form.
A balance bike is a great choice for your boy that has places to be! Unlike many tricycle or regular bikes, balance bikes don’t have pedals. Instead, kids use their feet to push around “Flintstones-style”. This is much easier for a 2 year old to master, and helps to quickly develop the balance skills needed to graduate to a regular bicycle.
This bike is adjustable so your child will be able to use it as boy ages. he will likely move to a real bike long before outgrowing this toy.
This model is especially nice because of it’s low center of gravity – it’s easier to control. Most children over 6 will be too big for this balance bike, but it will depend on the height and skill of the individual boy. Each child grows differently.
- Provides sturdy support as your 2 year old begins to learn to walk.
- Colorful construction and entertaining lights and sounds make it a great toy on it’s own.
- Very easy assembly will get your boy up and playing in no time.
- Wheels add traction on almost any indooor surface – including wood floors and carpets.
- Does every toy have to have lights and sounds :)
- The phone is small enough that it’s VERY easy to lose. Keep an eye on it.
Build those motor skills and have fun at the same time! Your 2 year old boy can find he balance and get up and walking while using this toy. It’s not just a walker, but also a stand-alone toy when you remove the play panel from the wheels. There are bright colors, a wide variety of animals and shapes and other distractions for your 2 year old to have a blast! There’s even a phone – no rotary dial on this model like you might remember from your childhood though.
Once your 2 year old boy is mobile, this walker really shines. It’s easy to push and provides nice support as he begins the journey to walking. There are two settings on the wheels so if it’s moving too fast or slow for their age, make the necessary adjustments. Do remember the batteries to power all the lights and sounds – unless you need a break of course!
- This plush toy is SOFT….REALLY soft! Your 2 year old will love holding it.
- The animation will keep your young child entertained for a long time.
- It’s a great gift your boy will remember as he grows up.
- There isn’t a lot of variety in the song (there’s only one) – but children at this age don’t seem to mind.
- It’s only surface washable due to the electronics.
Every child LOVES a stuffed animal, and the Baby GUND Flora The Bunny is the top toys for 2 year old boys for a reason. To begin with, it’s really soft. Your young one will absolutely love to hug and snuggle with Flora because of the way it feels.
Since it’s made by GUND, there’s 120 years of tradition and craftsmanship at work that you can see in this toy. They know how to make safe toys for infants – and the Flora The Bunny toy doesn’t disappoint.
Once you flip the switch, Flora comes to life. There are two modes your infant boy will come to adore. The first is a game of interactive “Peek-A-Boo”. No child this age can resist peek-a-boo, and Flora is very good at playing it. If her other foot is pressed, the bunny will sing a cute rendition of “Do Your Ears Hang Low.” She’ll also move her ears – your kid will love it.
In fact, the only real downside to this toy is you’ll eventually know all the words by heart because most children don’t tire of repeating the play and song, over and over. Luckily, it’s not TOO loud.
- Very young boys will love the colors, and love the teething capabilities more as they age.
- It excites many senses – sight, sound and touch.
- Enough chewing variety that it’ll become the go-to teething toy for your boy.
- Some infants prefer a harder surface when teething
Once your little boy is over 3 months old, these rattling teethers will become a staple in the toy rotation. boy’ll be able to shake it to make sound while exploring the many different textures in this toy. There’s soft cloth on the outside, and the bright colors will keep your 2 year old’s attention. The noise will enthrall your newborn as well.
The First Years Baby Rattle is the perfect size for an infant’s small hands. Eventually you’ll want to get a hard-plastic teething ring as well, since different pains require different surfaces. But since this toy is soft and lightweight, it’s a great rattle for day-to-day use. There’s not much chance of your 2 year old hurting themselves with this toy.
- The vinyl sides stretch to help toddlers climb out of the water.
- 6.5 inches of water is the right amount for kids to have fun without being too deep.
- It takes time to empty the inflatable pool because the material is too stretchy to turn it over.
The Intex Crystal Blue Inflatable Pool has a 6.5-inch water depth that is the right amount of water for splashing fun on a hot summer’s day. It’s not too deep for your toddler but enough water to sit or play-swim in.
The inflatable pool is large enough for more than one toddler. Invite friends over for a swim or enjoy cooling off and splashing each other at a birthday party. It is a good size for water activities and water games. You could add a water slide for your toddler or their favorite water toys. If you don’t want to use it as a pool, use it as a great ball pit during the winter months. It should hold between 200-300 balls.
When your toddler has finished playing in the water, you don’t have to waste the water. Use a beaker to water a flower bed and lift the pool on one side for the water to run out on the lawn. Make sure the pool is dry before storing it.
The pool is made from vinyl. The stretchy material allows toddlers to push the sides down when they want to climb out of the pool. The stretchiness, however, makes it’s difficult to turn over when filled with water. First, remove water with a beaker before you turn it over. It is safer for kids if they can’t turn it over.
Although toddlers 2-years and older may play in the pool, it has small pieces that are deemed choking hazard for kids under 3-years of age.
- Molded-design means no assembly time – and makes it really easy to clean.
- Built for toddlers – so safety is a primary concern
- Doesn’t make a ton of noise + a lot of fun for your little boy? What’s not to love!
- Made in the USA.
- While rated for 50 lbs, your child will likely outgrow it before that.
- Does a rocking horse really need an Alexa skill enabled?
This classic toy is brought into the 21st century! The Little Tykes Rocking Horse is given a modern look but still retains it’s spectacularly simple design. The entire horse is made in one color, with soft edges to prevent injuries from inevitable falls and spills. It looks really cool too!
It’s made of a high-quality, hardy plastic that should mean your boy will outgrow this rocking horse before it begins to show signs of age. The rocking angle isn’t as steep as a toy for older kids – and that’s the way you want it for your 2 year old.
You can take this toy outside or play with inside – it’s made for both. The simple construction means it’s easy to clean, which is why it’s one of the best toys for 2 year old boy.
- Self-propelled nature of toy both builds up muscle development and helps to burn off energy in your 2 year old.
- While relatively easy to use, there is some skill needed to spin fast. This helps to keep the replay value high.
- In simplest terms: Most boys think it’s really fun to spin.
- Really only appropriate for boys who can move about on their own – so you’ll need to judge if your child is ready.
- Not every kid likes to get dizzy. Most parents don’t like to clean up after children that don’t like to get dizzy. :)
The Playskool Sit ‘n Spin is a fun toy geared towards boys developed enough to sit up on their own. Children control their speed through their own arm power, which both allows them to control the speed and burn off tons of energy at the same time. This is especially helpful when kids are cooped up inside during winter months without many outlets for pent-up ::gender::-power. While it’s simple, it is extremely fun. It’s definitely one of the best toys for 2 year old boy.
This isn’t a new toy – I played with and loved one of these as a child myself. They last for many years, and kids will play with them from the pre-2 age all the way up to 6-7 years old.
- This is one of the best toys for 2 year old boys to develop fine motor skills.
- It’s a great enabler for imaginative play which is important at this age.
- Multiple modes mean high replay value.
- Not the most durable toy around. It’s meant to be kept on the floor, and can break if dropped from a table or high chair.
- Steering wheel too small for older kids.
Honk!Honk! The VTech Turn and Learn Driver will keep your little boy immersed in an imaginary driving world of fun!
This toy isn’t just about the driving. Sure, they can pretend to drive, but there is more as well. boy’ll pretend to drive using the steering wheel, causing the adorable dog character to move back and forth on the toy. There are five buttons that enable over 60 different songs and words about animals and driving. Even the turn signal gets in on the act – pull on it and your child will get a light and sound display.
The wheel and handles are all sized right for little kid hands. Your 2 year old will sit on the floor for hours playing with this toy – and you’ll have fun watching! If you grow tired of one set of noises – switch it to another of the settings to get some variety.
- Large selection of instruments means more hours of play and exploration for your 2 year old.
- Multiple toys enable sharing and playing with others.
- Builds hand-eye coordination which is important at this age.
- Very reasonably priced for what you get.
- You and your 2 year old boy’s idea of “music” are sure to differ. Prepare yourself with earplugs beforehand. :)
Twenty-four months is the earliest most boys express interest in playing with musical instruments. Satisfy that creative curiosity with this set of musical instruments. You’ll get maracas, a xylophone, blocks, a drum and sleigh bells with this set. You’ll also appreciate the carrying bag – it’s great to store the instruments when needed, and will come in handy when you take them for a play date or overnight trip.
The wide range of instruments give your 2 year old a chance to explore different sounds and styles of musical play. The variety also helps to prevent toy boredom and burnout. As your young boy ages and begins to socialize more, having numerous instruments available provides an easy means to share with other children.
- Double sports focus will keep your 2 year old boy entertained for longer.
- Provides an age-appropriate level of challenge so it’s a fun experience for your child.
- Great early introduction to some organized sports.
- Won’t break the bank – great gift for well under $50.
- While there are 50 rotating phrases used by this toy, it won’t feel like that many to you as the parent.
- It’s not a toy that will grow with your boy toddler.
This multisport setup will satisfy even the most demanding junior jock. Containing both a basketball hoop and a soccer net, your 2 year old child will enjoy hours of play while building up their motor skills and coordination.
Most boys love the bright lights and sounds of the scoreboard. There’s a ton of praise being given through the electronic speakers as well. It’s easy to pretend play about shooting the winning goal in front of a huge crowd with the electronic encouragement this toy provides.
- Great toy to inspire imaginatively and role-playing for boys.
- Big enough for 2 year old children to play with but stores easily.
- Perfect for playdates – many kids can comfortably play together at once.
- Solid construction means this should outlast your child’s interest in it.
- You will need to assemble this toy. Be prepared with a power drill to save yourself time and anguish.
- You might notice the lack of counter space – your child probably could care less!
Most 2 year olds are fascinated by the kitchen, and how it’s the realm of “big people”. Now you can get your child their own pretend kitchen to work and play in!
This play-set comes with everything a young boy needs to play house. There’s a playset, along with cookware, dishes and a recycle bin. You’ll find 20 pieces when you buy this toy.
While role-play is very important to preschool children, you’ll also help develop their relationship skills since this kitchen is great for inviting friends to play.
- Easy to assemble – it comes shipped in 3 pieces so not complicated.
- boys learn to balance themselves in a relatively safe manner.
- As long as it’s used on level ground, these will allow for exploration at safe but fun speeds.
- Balance bikes are great at building strength and muscle control in 2 year old kids. Great fun!
- When you first introduce the toy, it may take a little while for a child to figure out what exactly to do with it. Don’t sweat it – most take less than a day to get going.
- You’ll need to keep an eye on your 2 year old boy when he is playing with this toy.
The YGJT Baby Balance Bike is a great way to get your baby boy up and moving fast. Unlike many tricycle or regular bikes, balance bikes don’t have pedals. Instead, children use their feet to push around “Flintstones-style”. This is much easier, and helps to quickly develop balance skills in pre-toddlers.
This model is designed for those under twenty-four months of age. That means it puts child safety first and foremost. To begin, this toy has four wheels rather than the normal two on other balance bikes. Your boy won’t have to actually balance the bike – he’ll just need to concentrate on their own balance. In addition the steering is limited to only 135 degrees – meaning it’s much harder to tip than a normal balance bike.
It’s really good for helping to develop motor skills and balance in boy, along with hand-eye coordination.
- Toys provides the durability and stability of wood construction
- Every cube face has a new activity to play with – like 5 toys in one.
- Colorful toy will keep your 2 year old entertained for hours at a time!
- Expect this toys for 2 year old boy to be one handed down to future children in your family.
- It’s a pretty sizable cube; you’ll need some space to store this toy in your playroom.
- Some of the toys on the sides aren’t for the youngest children – they won’t know what to do with them.
You’ve probably seen similar cubes at dentist and doctor offices in the past – but this cube is yours! This farm-themed wooden activity cube is not only 5 different toys in one; it’s also a great toy for your boy to pull themselves up as they learn to stand and walk. It’s very solidly made – it’s a heavy toy since it’s made of wood. Most 2 year old kids will have fun developing their motor skills as they open doors, move beads up and around poles and interact with a multitude of other activities built-in to this cube.
Some of the sides are meant for slightly older children – you may have to get involved and show your younger child how to use them depending on their age. They will grow into the activities over time. Little hands will get a great workout grasping and moving pieces all around the cube.
- It is very interactive – your child will be able to get deep into the Toy Story universe with this toy.
- It lights up, makes sounds from the movie, and MOVES!
- It’s sturdy – meant to handle drops and falls that come with the territory of being a toy for 2 year olds
- Size is great for easy storage.
- Some people prefer the 11 inch size to this 7 inch toy
- There’s no volume, so it only produces sounds at one level. This could get annoying over time.
Your 2 year old boy will be ecstatic playing as Buzz with the Disney Pixar Toy Story Ultimate Walking Buzz Lightyear action figure. At seven inches tall, it’s quite easy to fit in a backpack or bag to take to a friend’s house. This toy has ALL the features!
Turn the toy ON by pressing the button under Buzz’s arm. Deploy his wings and hear him say his famous catchphrases by hitting the big red button on his side. Fire his blaster for “laser” lights and authentic blaster sounds.
There’s a great mix of real-world features to go with the make-believe play this toy will instill in young boys. That’s what makes this on of the great toys for 2 year old boy – it’s ability to come alive for your child during play.
- Your child will really like sitting in this for a long time – so you’ll get more outside mobility for yourself.
- Builds creativity and role play skills, along with helping to increase motor skills.
- Pink and purple color is pretty cool – other choices available if pink isn’ your boy’s jam.
- Some assembly required. A hammer, pliers and screwdriver make the process much easier.
- Plastic wheels are sturdy, but not as comfy a ride as rubber ones.
A great year-round toy for your young boy! The Push Around Buggy GT is perfect for children that want to pretend they are driving on the open road. You’ll easily be able to steer them in the right direction with the sturdy attached handle. It’s comfortable shape means you’ll have no trouble keeping them moving in the direct YOU want them to go. The handle is easily-removal for transporting this toy in your “real” car.
The car comes equipped with a seat belt built-in to the molded seat. This will keep your 2 year old safely confined within the car. If you end up making a bad “driving” decision, expect to hear your child hit the horn to let you know!
There’s a built-in cupholder to keep a sippy-cup handy, and storage space under the hood for keeping snacks and other supplies.
- The family-owned company has been making successful toys for over 100 years.
- Broad wheels at the front provide a stable and safe ride.
- There probably isn’t a kid in the world who won’t be thrilled with the bell and streamers on the handlebar.
- A front bumper protects furniture and walls when bumped into by the novice rider.
- If a child stands on the front bumper, which they aren’t supposed to do, the scooter may tip. Keep an eye on your child.
Streamers and a bell on the handlebar make the Radio Flyer Scoot-About a popular ride-on toy for any toddler. From the parents’ perspective, the front bumper that protects the furniture and walls may be the best feature.
From a family-owned business that has been making toys for kids for over 100 years, the Scoot-About No20, with its signature red, is an excellent buy for beginners. The front wheels are set wide apart to ensure stability and a safe ride for toddlers. The back wheels are closer to each other.
The seat adjusts according to the toddler’s height and ensures the ride-on toy will sit comfortably as the child grows. With chrome handlebars, your toddler will quickly learn to steer a ride-on making it so much easier for them when they transition to a tricycle or a balance bike. Ringing the bell may be another incentive to learn to ride the ride-on toy.
- A versatile tent structure with 4 tunnels, 2 tepee tents, and 2 square tents.
- Setting it up is easy and is stored in the storage bag included in the package.
- Tie-downs could break with aggressive tunnel crawling by older kids.
Toddlers would love playing in the UTEX 8 in 1 Play Tent with the connected tents and tunnels. It’s almost like a little village or a maze. Four tunnels connect two square houses and two tents. Build it in a square or a line or connect only a few pieces.
There are enough openings for ventilation or to climb in or out. The tepee tent has a window and a door, and the square house’s opening is on the roof. Hours of imaginative play and adventurous games will take place inside the tunnels and tents.
No tools needed to set up the structure. The play tent for kids meets ASTM-F963 safety standards and CA 65
- German engineering means you should expect a high-quality constructed product.
- Shapes aren’t all cubes, so there’s a push towards creative expression when playing. It’ll develop some beginner engineer skills to stack some of these block toys!
- Your little boy will play with these for years to come. High replay value.
- These have some heft, so make sure to supervise play with these toys when used by 2 year olds and infants.
- There are cheaper sets available; we like these because the company has a reputation for quality and isn’t likely using dangerous paints or additives in the toy design.
These wooden block toys will allow your 2 year old boy to express their budding creativity. The HABA Wooden Mod Blocks have some mass to them, which helps in building both coordination and strengthening motor skills. They are best suited to use on a smooth surface.
The colors and patterns on the wood are very vibrant. The shapes are non-traditional so your boy will have to think a bit outside the box when using them to play make believe . You’ll be amazed at the different worlds your child can build from these simple wooden blocks. While the 21 blocks are enough to play with solo, you can expand the set with other blocks so your child can play with friends.
Our Process For Selecting The Best Toys For 2 year old boys
We spend weeks writing all of our toy review and gift guides. We know you rely on our input, and we take that trust seriously. Our writers and editors have spent approximately 31 hours researching and testing the most popular toys for 2 year old boys that you can find on the market in September 2023.
All of this time and resources are spent to bring this toy guide to you – we’ve put in the time to make sure our recommendations are ones you can trust.
We also update these lists daily. That’s because we don’t want to provide you with toys that are no longer in-stock – a gift you can’t buy isn’t worth much to you, no matter how cool it might be. We have reviewed many more toys than we list in this guide – and many of them are good but not quite as great as the ones that made the cut.
As toys move in and out of stock, the list will change. We want this list to help you get the best toys you can for your 2 year old this Holiday season.
Frequently Asked Questions About Toys for 2-year Old Boys
Is it safe for my 2-year-old to play without supervision in his room?
You know that scary feeling you get as a parent when everything goes quiet, and your two-year-old boy isn’t in view? Maybe that’s one of the reasons most parents won’t feel comfortable in leaving their two-year-old toddler playing alone in his room.
He is probably already sleeping in his bed, which means he is no longer restricted in a baby cot and can move around as he pleases. It’s therefore safer at this age to make sure that he has no toys in his room that could harm him or needs adult supervision. Toys with small pieces could be a choking hazard. If you do leave your son alone, it shouldn’t be for long periods.
Is my two-year-old son still too young for a bike?
Although each child is different and develops at his own pace, two-year-old toddlers are still learning to balance themselves. Trikes, scooters, and balancing bikes may be the best options while your child is still improving his balancing and coordination skills.
A two-wheeled bike may be too much for him to handle at such a young age. Perhaps next year, when he is three years old, his balancing skills may be better for a bike with training wheels. A balancing bike, however, is different. It’s one of the best toys for 2 year old boys. Some kids start to push-ride at 18-months. Your-two-year old son will probably push the bike around and start pedaling at the age of four. A balancing bike is a good toy for your child to improve his balancing skills, to learn independence, and to feel like a big boy with a bike.
My son doesn’t like sports toys. What should I do?
Kids have different interests. If your two-year-old boy isn’t interested in sports toys, it doesn’t mean he may never be involved in sports. He could develop an interested at a later development stage.
It could be that the type of sports toys doesn’t entice him. Perhaps by exposing him to different kinds of sports toys to see what he likes. Maybe he doesn’t fully comprehend how to play with that kind of toy. Taking him to his older siblings’ sports events or a live game may spark his interest.
Don’t become upset if it seems as if he has no interest in sports as a toddler, there are ample years to spark the love of sports.
It seems as if my son isn’t playing with the toys, only throwing the toys around. What can I do?
I don’t think there’s a two-year-old boy in the world who doesn’t like throwing things. If it isn’t his toys, it would be something else. It’s not a gender issue, all toddlers, boys, and girls, throw stuff and put things into their mouths.
Some two-year boys are tidier than other kids. Some boys will tidy up when encouraged to do so; others need consistent prompting and will continue to scatter their toys everywhere.
Sometimes too many toys around them may confuse and overwhelm a child. Your two-year-old doesn’t know how to express himself or deal with the emotion. In frustration, he could throw his toys around. By reducing the toys, the immediate environment becomes more organized in his little mind, and he may stop scattering the toys and start playing with them.
How do I know if my son is old enough for the playground?
Your two-year-old toddler may be ready for slides and age-appropriate playground equipment. Playgrounds are fun, excellent exercise, and teach kids social skills, but they can be dangerous too if your child is too young. Find an age-appropriate playground. Smaller playgrounds may benefit a young child where he doesn’t have to compete with bigger kids.
Is my 2-year-old too young for STEM toys?
Children are never too young for STEM stimulation. As a two-year-old, most toys your son is playing with are STEM-related. Any toy that challenges your son improves or strengthens his problem-solving, hand-eye-coordination, or reasoning skills; encourages building and creating; or teaches cause-and-effect are STEM types of toys. Most toys that don’t operate with batteries qualify as STEM toys. Click here to see some of the best STEM toys for 2 year old boys.
How do I, as a parent, know which are the best toys for my 2-year-old son; there are so many toys on the market.
Often the child’s frustration is because a toy is too easy or complicated for his development or age. Toddlers can only play with toys given to them. Therefore, parents have the responsibility of choosing the right toy.
Our gift guides for toys for boys and girls of various age group is one place to start searching for the best toy for your two-year-old son.
Parents should always check if the toy is safe for your toddler. Small pieces or parts that loosen may be choking hazards for kids younger than three years old. Your two-year-old is discovering the world around him. One way he does that is to put everything and anything into his mouth. Be mindful of toys that could be a choking hazard.
Toys should be challenging for the child. If it is too complicated, your son will lose interest because he can’t figure out how to play with the toy. A challenging toy gives him a sense of accomplishment when he solves the challenge. Age is a good indication, but the tempo of your child’s development is another sign of how challenging the toy should be.
Are all toys’ usability limited to an age group?
No, open-ended toys are played with at different ages. Toddlers may stack building blocks, for example, but as they develop, they play differently with the blocks. Now the blocks become the tools for creative and imaginative play. Blocks become castles, roads, and numerous other innovative buildings and objects.
Some toys, however, are focused on a specific age to help the child develop individual skills. Other toys are age-appropriate due to your two-year-old abilities; he hasn’t developed appropriate skills to play with certain toys.
What can parents do with the toys their kids outgrow?
Durable toys may outlast your two-year-old son and his siblings. You can keep these toys for sentimental value, display the toys on a shelf, or use as décor in his room. Some parents keep the toys for when they become grandparents.
Many kids are not as privileged to have multiple toys. When your son outgrows his toys, you could give the toys to a charity that supports underprivileged kids. Teach your child to give by letting him choose the toys to give away. You could even make him part of the event by taking him to a church charity, a local shelter, or a children center where he can give the toys to a child.