As children age and move from toddler to “grown up” kids, it becomes harder to keep up with their tastes, wants and trends. That makes it difficult to buy gifts for these special boys (and girls) in your life.
We’ve written this guide to help you find the best toys for 5 year old boys. Maybe it’s a Christmas or other holiday present, or your child is having a birthday and needs a present. No matter what the occasion, our staff has put in hours of research to help you pick a toy that is fun, age-appropriate, and will be played with for months and years to come. We’ve also included a guide on what characteristics a toy should have for these pre-K boys, in case you want to go shopping at your local store.
We also tried to pick toys that will last and have some replay value – so your child can get some use from your present and remember you in the years to come. The world doesn’t need your gift to end up as garbage in a dump come March of next year.
Finally, in acknowledgement that no one gift is “the best” for all kids, we’ve selected a wide variety of toys that should appeal to kids with different interests. Our individual toy headings should give you a good idea what type of kid would love each toy. Hopefully you find something to match the child you are shopping for.
Quick Rundown Of Our Top toys for 5 year old boys
A perfect gift for the kid that loves to create things with their own hands.
- Great for social play for your 5 year old boy
- Different cars and trucks leads to great replay value
- Large size makes it easy for toddlers to assemble on their own
- Combine with other DUPLO sets for more fun!
- Includes cards and instructions
- Sometimes hard to find in stock
- Older preschoolers will want more of a challenge than this set provides.
LEGOs have been a staple under the Christmas tree for years – and this DUPLO My First Cars and Trucks lives up to the LEGO reputation for fun and quality. All young boys enjoy creating exciting toy cars and trucks they can “drive” themselves. It’s a great toy that parents can play with as well – and since there are multiple combinations to make different vehicles, your toys for 5 year old boy will not get bored with this toy.
Since these building toys can be extended by adding other sets to play with, it will grow with your little boy as he goes from being a 5 year old to a preschooler. The easy portability means you’ll often be packing these DUPLO toys up and bringing them to your child’s friends house. Luckily it’s easy and simple to do!
It’s a great gift for 5 year old. You might want to look around at other DUPLO sets as well – price can often vary widely.
- Made in the USA of BPA-free, recycled milk jugs.
- Easy to clean – it’s dishwasher safe so cleanup is a breeze!
- Your 5 year old boy will build both fine and gross motor skills playing with this set.
- Great for tub play as well.
- Built to last for years of play.
- You pay extra for the Earth-friendly construction.
If your young ::age:: boy is looking for a toy tea set to go along with tea time, the Green Toys Tea Set is a great choice. he can play while being nice to the environment at the same time. You see, these tea cups, pots, plates, creamer and sugar bowl are all made of food-grade recycled materials. This is awesome because it means you can actually drink from the set without worrying about hot water melting plastic or leeching and undesirable chemicals.
This tea set is wonderful. The toy items are sturdy while still being small enough for little hand’s to easily handle. It is safe to eat and drink from, washes easily, and quite resistant to scratches and blemishes. Some people aren’t aware that toy manufacturers now have to put little holes to prevent suffocation in any toy a young boy might jam in their mouth. The sugar bowl is the one in this set with the holes – so if you pour a powder in the bowl, it won’t stay there!
These cups are kid-sized, not doll-sized – so they’ll be able to drink more than a sip when playing make-believe. It’s one of the best tea sets out there for kids!
- Made in the USA.
- Easy to store – just fold it up and put it away
- Constructed of hard plastic for years of use.
- Great for 5 year old boys that weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Quick assembly time.
- Made for both inside and outside play.
- The more adventurous children among us may become bored with this slide as they get older.
- More expensive than no-name branded slides. You pay for the Little Tykes brand quality.
Sometimes the weather isn’t good enough to take your child out for playground fun. With the Little Tikes Easy Store Large Slide you can bring the outside fun indoors! This toy is portable – just fold the slide up and easily move it indoors or out.
It’s sturdy enough that you don’t need to worry about your boy tipping this toy over on accident. There’s a wide base and a low center of gravity. The sides of the stairs are a perfect handrail for little hands. Stuffed animals like riding this slide almost as much as little boys!
Best Subscription Box For 5 year old boys:
Kiwi Crate by KiwiCo
For boys 5 to 8 Years of age
- Encourages a tinkering mindset through experimentation
- Parents can engage with their children in some quality time.
- Created toys are well-made and generally have good replay value.
- You need to create the toy/project in order to have something to play with.
- Subscription is an unique gift-type and can be hard to explain to a child when you give the gift.
The Kiwi Crate by Kiwico is a great way to keep your 5 year old boy excited about science through play throughout the year. This isn’t one toy – instead, you buy a three month, six month or 1 yr subscription and “crates” are delivered every month. Inside you’ll find maker projects that help your child explore art, science, and engineering. We’ve reviewed quite a few of these crates over the years – and our reviewer families have raved about their value and fun-factor.
Each month contains projects and readings centered around a different theme. The instructions are easy to read, but also include additional information for those kids looking for a more in-depth treatment of the subject. I’ve recommended these kits to my family members – and I now I’m recommending them to you.
- There’s nothing better for gaining balance skills to prepare for a “big-boy” bike.
- Looks very similar to bikes ridden by Mom and Dad.
- Provides age-appropriate mobility so he can explore the world.
- No flat tires and limited moving parts make for easy maintenance for parents.
- Helps develop hand-eye coordination and improve motor skills for your 5 year old.
- Not everyone loves the ride of no-air tires due to harder ride.
- The foot rest may rub against the smallest riders feet and ankles depending on their form.
A balance bike is a great choice for your boy that has places to be! Unlike many tricycle or regular bikes, balance bikes don’t have pedals. Instead, kids use their feet to push around “Flintstones-style”. This is much easier for a 5 year old to master, and helps to quickly develop the balance skills needed to graduate to a regular bicycle.
This bike is adjustable so your child will be able to use it as boy ages. he will likely move to a real bike long before outgrowing this toy.
This model is especially nice because of it’s low center of gravity – it’s easier to control. Most children over 6 will be too big for this balance bike, but it will depend on the height and skill of the individual boy. Each child grows differently.
- Teaches strategic thinking, teamwork, social skills and planning to your 5 year old boy.
- Has won numerous awards for it’s great mix of fun and skill building.
- Great for playing with children of different maturity levels for boys and girls.
- Good replay value.
- Games are relatively quick – this might be a good thing depending on the situation but something to be aware of.
- Pre-teen children and up won’t be entertained for long.
Most board games for kids are competitive – and frankly there’s nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it’s nice for a family to have a game they work together to win, rather than against each other. This is particularly the case if you have a child that is CONSTANTLY getting beaten at games by an older sibling.
In Peaceable Kingdom, players work together as a team against the game, not each other. Besides creating a team, this allows for your 5 year old to learn to share, include others, and build up confidence for themselves and teammates. Each player is an owl that has gone out exploring at night, but now needs to get back home before the sun gets up. If all owls get home before the sun comes up, you are a winner!
- Included experiments are age-appropriate and fun for the family to work together.
- Great for bathtub and sandbox play when younger, but grows into science experiments as your child ages.
- High replay value since equipment can be used to do other experiments available for free on the internet.
- While most are common household items, you need to provide the ingredients for the experiments.
Encourage interest in science and experimental learning with this award-winning lab set. The Learning Resources Primary Science Lab set comes with a ton of kid-friendly science tools. All 12 pieces are correctly sized for 5 year old children to be able to handle.
Younger boys might just use the toy to play make-believe unless you or another adult take them step by step through the instructions. On the other hand, older children can use the included experiment cards to learn more about the physical world around them. Once you’ve gone through all the included experiments, you are free to use the equipment to tackle other experiments about the world around you.
- Easily fits two to three children for great social interactions.
- Nonlinear nature of impromptu shows gives high replay value.
- One of the best toys for developing story-telling ability.
- Doesn’t fold up for storage – an issue if space is tight.
- It’s strictly BYOP – Bring Your Own Puppets.
Your future Oscar winners will love to put their imagination into overdrive when playing with this sturdy puppet theater. The idea of a “stage” allows their creative juices to flow. 5 year old can take turns creating skits or watching their friends – either way it’s a load of fun.
It doesn’t take long to assemble, and is made of high-quality wood- meaning it should survive through years of play. Expect to see your youngsters coming back to this toy time and time again.
What We Like About The Melissa & Doug Puppet Theater
- Self-propelled nature of toy both builds up muscle development and helps to burn off energy in your 5 year old.
- While relatively easy to use, there is some skill needed to spin fast. This helps to keep the replay value high.
- In simplest terms: Most boys think it’s really fun to spin.
- Really only appropriate for boys who can move about on their own – so you’ll need to judge if your child is ready.
- Not every kid likes to get dizzy. Most parents don’t like to clean up after children that don’t like to get dizzy. :)
The Playskool Sit ‘n Spin is a fun toy geared towards boys developed enough to sit up on their own. Children control their speed through their own arm power, which both allows them to control the speed and burn off tons of energy at the same time. This is especially helpful when kids are cooped up inside during winter months without many outlets for pent-up ::gender::-power. While it’s simple, it is extremely fun. It’s definitely one of the best toys for 5 year old boy.
This isn’t a new toy – I played with and loved one of these as a child myself. They last for many years, and kids will play with them from the pre-2 age all the way up to 6-7 years old.
- Both camera lenses have an 8-megapixel photo resolution to take high-quality photos.
- The camera is designed for kids and is easy to operate.
- The screen is 2.3 inches, which is larger than most camera screens for kids.
- SD memory card isn’t included in the purchase.
The Joytrip Kids Digital Camera is a dual-lens camera with 8 Megapixels and a camcorder with FHD 1080P video resolution that’s perfect for little 5 year old boy hands! With a 2.3 inches screen, budding photographers can show off their photography skills. The automatic face tracking feature recognizes faces to capture the best smiley moments.
Replaying the videos or look at the funny photos created with the 21 frames creates hours of fun. The 1000mAh lithium rechargeable battery won’t cut the fun-time short because it lasts for 4-6 hours. Recharging takes 4-5 hours.
Hanging the camera around the child’s neck with the lanyard will help keep the camera from falling. If it does fall, don’t sweat it too much. The camera is made of soft silicone material that is safe against a child’s skin and is also shockproof should the camera fall.
The USB charger and a micro SD card reader are included in the package but not the SD card. The camera supports up to a 32 GB card.
- Large selection of instruments means more hours of play and exploration for your 5 year old.
- Multiple toys enable sharing and playing with others.
- Builds hand-eye coordination which is important at this age.
- Very reasonably priced for what you get.
- You and your 5 year old boy’s idea of “music” are sure to differ. Prepare yourself with earplugs beforehand. :)
Twenty-four months is the earliest most boys express interest in playing with musical instruments. Satisfy that creative curiosity with this set of musical instruments. You’ll get maracas, a xylophone, blocks, a drum and sleigh bells with this set. You’ll also appreciate the carrying bag – it’s great to store the instruments when needed, and will come in handy when you take them for a play date or overnight trip.
The wide range of instruments give your 5 year old a chance to explore different sounds and styles of musical play. The variety also helps to prevent toy boredom and burnout. As your young boy ages and begins to socialize more, having numerous instruments available provides an easy means to share with other children.
- Worry-free guarantee means you don’t need to worry about giving your 5 year old a mini-computer that he likely will end up finding a way to break.
- Great for trips, plane rides, or other times a child needs to entertain themselves without being able to move around.
- Included subscription includes a wide variety of children’s books to read – it’s not all fun and games!
- If you haven’t already bought into the Amazon “Co-Prosperity Sphere” of content, you’ll need to – it’s not worth much without the content Amazon provides.
- Amazon parental controls take a little time to learn how to use effectively.
Want to get your 5 year old a tablet, but afraid of quickly they might break it? The Fire 7 Kids Edition is a great tablet for you.
You get a powerful 7-inch tablet in a kid-proof stand – made for little boys hands to be able to grasp easily. The included year of Amazon Free Time provides access to age-appropriate apps, games, books and content from names you know, like PBS Kids, Disney and Nickelodeon. Parental controls leave you in charge of what your 5 year old watches.
And since kids will be kids…if he ends up breaking this Kindle during the first two years by dropping, stomping, spilling, throwing or the multitude of other ways kids break toys, you can simply return it to Amazon to get a replacement. That’s the worry-free guarantee.
These devices come with 16GB of internal storage, but you’ll likely want to invest in an SD card to give you some more space to save content for your child. Prices on flash memory have dropped so much you’ll be amazed how much storage you’ll be able to get for cheap.
- It has everything to help put your kid into an imaginary world of fun, quickly.
- Can handle quite a bit of normal-play punishment.
- Some people never outgrow Star Wars – this toy could last for many years of play as your child grows.
- You know how Disney was able to afford to buy the Star Wars franchise? Take a look at the price tag.
- Your child will need at least two of these to play with others.
The only way your little Star Wars fan could have more fun with this toy would be if it were made of plasma, not plastic. It has everything you’d expect – the lights, sounds and feel of a high-quality Disney toy.
It can handle not only imaginary play, but also some real-world swordplay as well. It’s not indestructible – if kids try to break these, they certainly can. But it will hold up well under the normal rigors of daily play.
- Adjustable height means it will grow with your boy.
- Folds down easily for quick storage.
- The different sizes of chalk and markers help develop fine motor skills.
- A great way to share a love of drawing with friends or family.
- This toy requires assembly which can be a deal breaker for some.
If your child is stoked to draw but you don’t want the hassle of buying and throwing away reams of artwork-filled paper, this easel is for you. Both the chalkboard and dry-erase sides are erasable – so when your artist moves on to a new work the board will follow. It can be used on both sides at teh same time so your boy can use this toy to play with a friend at the same time.
The adjustable height is a great feature – your child will be able to use this for years to come without having to hunch over to draw. It comes with chalk and an eraser, along with a brush – but you’ll want to make sure you get more chlak on your own. With how fun this toy is, you’ll need it!
What We Like About The NextX Kids Adjustable Easel
- Great functionality in a small package.
- 5 year old boys will love playing the role of director with the built-in cameras.
- A lot cheaper than a Fitbit or Apple Watch!
- Heavy video usage can drain the battery in less than a day – not great if you rely on it primarily for a watch.
- Colorful design might seem childish to tween-aged children.
This smartwatch is really a mini-smartphone – without internet access or GPS. Why do I say that? It has 2 cameras, a microphone, games built-in, and can function as a pedometer. That’s a lot of features in a little package!
Parents and kids can download the pictures and videos to a PC where they can be kept or viewed by all. It’s very intuitive to use – and while not waterproof it is “splash proof” so the occasional spill or drop should brick the watch. It’s a great toy if you think your child feels left out not having a “smart” device.
- It is very interactive – your child will be able to get deep into the Toy Story universe with this toy.
- It lights up, makes sounds from the movie, and MOVES!
- It’s sturdy – meant to handle drops and falls that come with the territory of being a toy for 5 year olds
- Size is great for easy storage.
- Some people prefer the 11 inch size to this 7 inch toy
- There’s no volume, so it only produces sounds at one level. This could get annoying over time.
Your 5 year old boy will be ecstatic playing as Buzz with the Disney Pixar Toy Story Ultimate Walking Buzz Lightyear action figure. At seven inches tall, it’s quite easy to fit in a backpack or bag to take to a friend’s house. This toy has ALL the features!
Turn the toy ON by pressing the button under Buzz’s arm. Deploy his wings and hear him say his famous catchphrases by hitting the big red button on his side. Fire his blaster for “laser” lights and authentic blaster sounds.
There’s a great mix of real-world features to go with the make-believe play this toy will instill in young boys. That’s what makes this on of the great toys for 5 year old boy – it’s ability to come alive for your child during play.
- Easy to control and get into the air – but still helps to build patience.
- Flight control builds hand-eye coordination to keep the kite soaring in the air.
- You need to get outside to use this toy – and 5 year old boy will!
- You’ll need to help younger children with assembly.
- You need some space and decent weather to play with this toy.
Good kites are under-rated toys. There’s something hard-wired in most boys that makes he want to fly a kite on a warm, sunny day. This kite makes that easy enough for 5 year olds.
The design makes it surprisingly easy to get – and stay -airborne. It won’t entertain your children for multiple hours at a time, but they will continue to come back to this toy as they grow through the years. The colorful pattern will bring a smile to both you and your child’s face.
- Allows children to learn the alphabet and reading skill at their own, independent pace.
- Audiobook feature is great for car rides – just use headphones and your child is entertained.
- The pen is well-sized for young hands, and nearly indestructible.
- Workbooks aren’t cheap, and really are one-time-use only.
- The system is easy for kids, but there’s a learning curve for parents to set it up.
This comprehensive learning system will fast-track your child towards reading independence. The Leap Frog turns learning about reading and writing into a game – making learning fun. When your child is done with the initial book and audio titles, there are over 150 more available on a wide range of topics. This means there will be SOMETHING your child wants to read.
One pro tip to keep content costs down – head to your local thrift store or Goodwill to get used books. Just make sure to check they work with the current generation of Tag books.
Helps To Develop: “Communication Development, Focus, Thinking Skills”
- Encourages exploration of the world around us – kids will love heading outdoors with this toy.
- Meant to be handled by litle boy, they are less sensitive to damage by drops than adult binoculars.
- Your 5 year old will find many ways to work this toy into creative play.
- Not very powerful magnification (2x) – but wide field of view.
- Adults won’t get much use out of them since they are built for a 5 year old’s eye-to-eye width.
These brightly-colored binoculars are built from the ground up for pre-schoolers looking to explore nature in the world around them. The eye pieces are oversized and focus-free meaning your 5 year old will be able to pick them up and begin using them immediately. The break-away neck strap makes sure no toddler is hurt accidentally by a wrapped strap.
This toy allows children to emulate their adult role-models when out on a hike or bird-watching, without you having to fear they might damage an expensive pair of optics. Meant to handle drops and bumps from a boy, they should last through months and years of use.
Did I mention they list for $15? You can often find them on sale as well. An affordable gift for any Age::.
Helps To Develop: “Outside Play, Exploration, Role Playing”
- Scaled for younger children – won’t be too hard to master.
- Easy to assemble and use – just step on and try to stay standing!
- Small size and play area means it’s great to use almost anywhere.
- One of the better toys for 5 year old boys.
- While well-made, most children over 7 will be too large to comfortably use. Therefore the lifespan is limited.
- Small toddlers might need some help using this toy.
We all want our 5 year old boys to be active and moving. This balance board not only accomplishes getting them up off the couch, but they’ll have fun and improve their balance at the same time!
Made of a sturdy wood construction, your 5 year old will be able to entertain themselves for hours inside the house and out. It’s great to use while doing another activity – having your child use it while watching TV is one example.
The best balance board toys are not only fun to play with, but they also help to develop spatial awareness, balance, and coordination. In addition, there is research that using balance boards can help increase attention span and focusing ability in children.
Our Process For Selecting The Best Toys For 5 year old boys
We spend weeks writing all of our toy review and gift guides. We know you rely on our input, and we take that trust seriously. Our writers and editors have spent approximately 28 hours researching and testing the most popular toys for 5 year old boys that you can find on the market in July 2020.
All of this time and resources are spent to bring this toy guide to you – we’ve put in the time to make sure our recommendations are ones you can trust.
We also update these lists daily. That’s because we don’t want to provide you with toys that are no longer in-stock – a gift you can’t buy isn’t worth much to you, no matter how cool it might be. We have reviewed many more toys than we list in this guide – and many of them are good but not quite as great as the ones that made the cut.
As toys move in and out of stock, the list will change. We want this list to help you get the best toys you can for your 5 year old this Holiday season.
Frequently Asked Questions About Toys for Five-Year-Old Boys
What are the best toys for a 5-year-old boy?
The best toys for 5-year-old boys are generally the kind of toys they like to play with, and that stimulates their interests. If you know what your son loves, you can buy him toys accordingly.
If you’re not sure what he wants or would like to introduce him to new toys, take him shopping! At 5 years old, your son is old enough to make his own choices. Why not take him to the store and show him the toys in the toys aisle that is appropriate for his age. He may enjoy the outing and will gladly show you what type of toys interests him.
Another benefit of taking your 5-year old shopping is you won’t have to worry about what to get him for Christmas, his birthday or any other special occasions. He will help you make a list for Santa by indicating to you what to buy him. Next time when a friend or family member asks what toy they should buy your son, send them the list!
What type of toys are the right kind of toys for 5-year-old boys?
Your 5-year old loves to play pretend; he hasn’t outgrown the phase and will probably continue to play pretend games as a 6-year-old too. The best toys for five-year-old boys and girls are toys that complement their adventures, imagination, and pretend playing.
Your child will assume the role of being a fisherman, a fireman, a superhero, dad, and many other characters you haven’t thought about. He is going to do it anyway, but it’s so much more fun dressing up, having the right transport, and tools. A mask, a superhero cape, and other clothing representing the character may be the best toy for your 5-year-old superhero, fireman, or whatever he is pretending to be that day.
Toy tools, equipment, food, and riding toys will add to the fun of adventurous pretending. Your 5-year-old son can go on adventures, chase villains, or discover new worlds on a tricycle, balance bike, pushing a wagon or scooter. He can build castles, hideouts, rockets, and whatever his imagination produces with creative building toys and sets like LEGOS, TInkertoys, and K’NEX. Part of pretending is having hideaways. Play tents for indoor or outdoor hideaways may be the perfect toy for your 5-year-old boy.
How much should I spend on toys for a 5-year-old boy’s birthday gift or a Christmas present?
Young children aren’t interested in the quality of the toy; they are more interested in what the toy does and how to play with the toy. Your 5-year-old boy will be as happy with an inexpensive toy than an expensive one; he doesn’t know the difference yet. Enjoy the days when you don’t have to spend a lot of money to entertain your son; it’s not going to last forever.
Your five-year-old son doesn’t need many gifts to make him happy. One toy could do it. Too many toys at Christmas or his birthday may overwhelm and confuse him. He can’t play with all the toys, and too many toys won’t benefit him. It may also teach him always to expect many when a few is enough.
He will be receiving gifts from relatives and friends too. Therefore, it is enough to buy him one great gift and a few smaller treats or toys. A few toys allow him to play with the toy to his full potential.
What can I give a 5-year-old boy who has everything?
Some toys your 5-year-old boy will never tire from. For example, if he likes firetrucks or trains, he will never have enough. Buying him such a toy will always delight him. If your son, however, already has all the types of firetrucks or trains, there is one toy that no child could ever have too many of—books.
Kids love stories anywhere and anytime. You can read a bedtime story to your son to help him fall asleep. Most kids will listen to an audiobook story while traveling. Your 5-year-old son can never have enough picture books. Reading to your son is an integral part of his development.
Make sure to buy picture books about topics that interest him. If he isn’t listening to the story, it’s not necessarily because he doesn’t like stories but rather that the story doesn’t interest him. It’s the same with teens and adults; you don’t like reading a novel that doesn’t interest you. Young children are the same. Let him choose the storybook next time; perhaps he surprises you in what type of story he wants to hear.
I don’t’ think my son is ready for toys for 5-year-old boys. What should I do?
Boys develop at their pace, and each child is different. Your son may be slower in reaching one milestone but way ahead in another. He will catch up soon enough. Choosing the best toy for your 5-year-old is taking into consideration his level of development and helping him to grow.
Age recommendations indicate what type of toy would be best for an age group, but it isn’t finite. Toys in the same age category are designed for the development phase and milestones of that age. The complexity of the toys for a 5-year-old, for example, may vary. Select more simplistic toys for your son if he isn’t ready for the more complex 5-year-old toys.
You should continue to stimulate him to develop by giving him toys that will challenge him. A new kind of toy may also inspire him and allow growth in other skills.
Sometimes it’s best for your son if you buy him a toy in a younger age group to help him acquire confidence. His ability to conquer the 4-year-old toy could inspire him for a more significant challenge. Then he will be ready for a 5-year-old toy. Challenging kids with toys too tricky for them could create an aversion for that kind of toy. Their inability to comprehend the toy may frustrate them, and they could become insecure because they can’t conquer it.