Quick Rundown of Our Top 5 Toys For Five Year Olds
A perfect gift for the kid that loves to create things with their own hands.
All Our Picks For The Best Toys For 5 Year-Old Girls
- Made in the USA of BPA-free, recycled milk jugs.
- Easy to clean – it’s dishwasher safe so cleanup is a breeze!
- Your 5 year old girl will build both fine and gross motor skills playing with this set.
- Great for tub play as well.
- Built to last for years of play.
- You pay extra for the Earth-friendly construction.
If your young ::age:: girl is looking for a toy tea set to go along with tea time, the Green Toys Tea Set is a great choice. she can play while being nice to the environment at the same time. You see, these tea cups, pots, plates, creamer and sugar bowl are all made of food-grade recycled materials. This is awesome because it means you can actually drink from the set without worrying about hot water melting plastic or leeching and undesirable chemicals.
This tea set is wonderful. The toy items are sturdy while still being small enough for little hand’s to easily handle. It is safe to eat and drink from, washes easily, and quite resistant to scratches and blemishes. Some people aren’t aware that toy manufacturers now have to put little holes to prevent suffocation in any toy a young girl might jam in their mouth. The sugar bowl is the one in this set with the holes – so if you pour a powder in the bowl, it won’t stay there!
These cups are kid-sized, not doll-sized – so they’ll be able to drink more than a sip when playing make-believe. It’s one of the best tea sets out there for kids!
- Made in the USA.
- Easy to store – just fold it up and put it away
- Constructed of hard plastic for years of use.
- Great for 5 year old girls that weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Quick assembly time.
- Made for both inside and outside play.
- The more adventurous children among us may become bored with this slide as they get older.
- More expensive than no-name branded slides. You pay for the Little Tykes brand quality.
Sometimes the weather isn’t good enough to take your child out for playground fun. With the Little Tikes Easy Store Large Slide you can bring the outside fun indoors! This toy is portable – just fold the slide up and easily move it indoors or out.
It’s sturdy enough that you don’t need to worry about your girl tipping this toy over on accident. There’s a wide base and a low center of gravity. The sides of the stairs are a perfect handrail for little hands. Stuffed animals like riding this slide almost as much as little girls!
Best Subscription Box For 5 year old girls:
Kiwi Crate by KiwiCo
For girls 5 to 8 Years of age
- Encourages a tinkering mindset through experimentation
- Parents can engage with their children in some quality time.
- Created toys are well-made and generally have good replay value.
- You need to create the toy/project in order to have something to play with.
- Subscription is an unique gift-type and can be hard to explain to a child when you give the gift.
The Kiwi Crate by Kiwico is a great way to keep your 5 year old girl excited about science through play throughout the year. This isn’t one toy – instead, you buy a three month, six month or 1 yr subscription and “crates” are delivered every month. Inside you’ll find maker projects that help your child explore art, science, and engineering. We’ve reviewed quite a few of these crates over the years – and our reviewer families have raved about their value and fun-factor.
Each month contains projects and readings centered around a different theme. The instructions are easy to read, but also include additional information for those kids looking for a more in-depth treatment of the subject. I’ve recommended these kits to my family members – and I now I’m recommending them to you.
- There’s nothing better for gaining balance skills to prepare for a “big-girl” bike.
- Looks very similar to bikes ridden by Mom and Dad.
- Provides age-appropriate mobility so she can explore the world.
- No flat tires and limited moving parts make for easy maintenance for parents.
- Helps develop hand-eye coordination and improve motor skills for your 5 year old.
- Not everyone loves the ride of no-air tires due to harder ride.
- The foot rest may rub against the smallest riders feet and ankles depending on their form.
A balance bike is a great choice for your girl that has places to be! Unlike many tricycle or regular bikes, balance bikes don’t have pedals. Instead, kids use their feet to push around “Flintstones-style”. This is much easier for a 5 year old to master, and helps to quickly develop the balance skills needed to graduate to a regular bicycle.
This bike is adjustable so your child will be able to use it as girl ages. she will likely move to a real bike long before outgrowing this toy.
This model is especially nice because of it’s low center of gravity – it’s easier to control. Most children over 6 will be too big for this balance bike, but it will depend on the height and skill of the individual girl. Each child grows differently.
- Teaches strategic thinking, teamwork, social skills and planning to your 5 year old girl.
- Has won numerous awards for it’s great mix of fun and skill building.
- Great for playing with children of different maturity levels for boys and girls.
- Good replay value.
- Games are relatively quick – this might be a good thing depending on the situation but something to be aware of.
- Pre-teen children and up won’t be entertained for long.
Most board games for kids are competitive – and frankly there’s nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it’s nice for a family to have a game they work together to win, rather than against each other. This is particularly the case if you have a child that is CONSTANTLY getting beaten at games by an older sibling.
In Peaceable Kingdom, players work together as a team against the game, not each other. Besides creating a team, this allows for your 5 year old to learn to share, include others, and build up confidence for themselves and teammates. Each player is an owl that has gone out exploring at night, but now needs to get back home before the sun gets up. If all owls get home before the sun comes up, you are a winner!
- Included experiments are age-appropriate and fun for the family to work together.
- Great for bathtub and sandbox play when younger, but grows into science experiments as your child ages.
- High replay value since equipment can be used to do other experiments available for free on the internet.
- While most are common household items, you need to provide the ingredients for the experiments.
Encourage interest in science and experimental learning with this award-winning lab set. The Learning Resources Primary Science Lab set comes with a ton of kid-friendly science tools. All 12 pieces are correctly sized for 5 year old children to be able to handle.
Younger girls might just use the toy to play make-believe unless you or another adult take them step by step through the instructions. On the other hand, older children can use the included experiment cards to learn more about the physical world around them. Once you’ve gone through all the included experiments, you are free to use the equipment to tackle other experiments about the world around you.
- Easily fits two to three children for great social interactions.
- Nonlinear nature of impromptu shows gives high replay value.
- One of the best toys for developing story-telling ability.
- Doesn’t fold up for storage – an issue if space is tight.
- It’s strictly BYOP – Bring Your Own Puppets.
Your future Oscar winners will love to put their imagination into overdrive when playing with this sturdy puppet theater. The idea of a “stage” allows their creative juices to flow. 5 year old can take turns creating skits or watching their friends – either way it’s a load of fun.
It doesn’t take long to assemble, and is made of high-quality wood- meaning it should survive through years of play. Expect to see your youngsters coming back to this toy time and time again.
What We Like About The Melissa & Doug Puppet Theater
- Self-propelled nature of toy both builds up muscle development and helps to burn off energy in your 5 year old.
- While relatively easy to use, there is some skill needed to spin fast. This helps to keep the replay value high.
- In simplest terms: Most girls think it’s really fun to spin.
- Really only appropriate for girls who can move about on their own – so you’ll need to judge if your child is ready.
- Not every kid likes to get dizzy. Most parents don’t like to clean up after children that don’t like to get dizzy. :)
The Playskool Sit ‘n Spin is a fun toy geared towards girls developed enough to sit up on their own. Children control their speed through their own arm power, which both allows them to control the speed and burn off tons of energy at the same time. This is especially helpful when kids are cooped up inside during winter months without many outlets for pent-up ::gender::-power. While it’s simple, it is extremely fun. It’s definitely one of the best toys for 5 year old girl.
This isn’t a new toy – I played with and loved one of these as a child myself. They last for many years, and kids will play with them from the pre-2 age all the way up to 6-7 years old.
- Projects are fun both to build and play with afterwards.
- Building provides a great opportunity to bond with your 5 year old girl.
- High-quality construction means projects should last as least as long as your girl is interested in it.
- The company is very interested in customer service. Their phone number is on every product.
- There is some assembly required to put together this dollhouse toy.
- While well constructed, you do pay a premium for the quality.
This Melissa & Doug Hi-Rise Wooden dollhouse is no McMansion! Your daughter will delight in making pretend-play families drive into the garage, ride the elevator upstairs, and feel right at home in this modern three-level house. Bright colors and patterns add a lively edge to the natural wooden frame, and open sides make it easy to access every room and share the fun with brothers, sisters, and friends.
The set comes with three play people and 15 pieces of furniture, but your child can bring their own figures to share in the fun. This toy is for play dates with other kids. If you are looking to give your young girl ways to avoid screen time – you’ve found a great antidote.
- Both camera lenses have an 8-megapixel photo resolution to take high-quality photos.
- The camera is designed for kids and is easy to operate.
- The screen is 2.3 inches, which is larger than most camera screens for kids.
- SD memory card isn’t included in the purchase.
The Joytrip Kids Digital Camera is a dual-lens camera with 8 Megapixels and a camcorder with FHD 1080P video resolution that’s perfect for little 5 year old girl hands! With a 2.3 inches screen, budding photographers can show off their photography skills. The automatic face tracking feature recognizes faces to capture the best smiley moments.
Replaying the videos or look at the funny photos created with the 21 frames creates hours of fun. The 1000mAh lithium rechargeable battery won’t cut the fun-time short because it lasts for 4-6 hours. Recharging takes 4-5 hours.
Hanging the camera around the child’s neck with the lanyard will help keep the camera from falling. If it does fall, don’t sweat it too much. The camera is made of soft silicone material that is safe against a child’s skin and is also shockproof should the camera fall.
The USB charger and a micro SD card reader are included in the package but not the SD card. The camera supports up to a 32 GB card.
- Large selection of instruments means more hours of play and exploration for your 5 year old.
- Multiple toys enable sharing and playing with others.
- Builds hand-eye coordination which is important at this age.
- Very reasonably priced for what you get.
- You and your 5 year old girl’s idea of “music” are sure to differ. Prepare yourself with earplugs beforehand. :)
Twenty-four months is the earliest most girls express interest in playing with musical instruments. Satisfy that creative curiosity with this set of musical instruments. You’ll get maracas, a xylophone, blocks, a drum and sleigh bells with this set. You’ll also appreciate the carrying bag – it’s great to store the instruments when needed, and will come in handy when you take them for a play date or overnight trip.
The wide range of instruments give your 5 year old a chance to explore different sounds and styles of musical play. The variety also helps to prevent toy boredom and burnout. As your young girl ages and begins to socialize more, having numerous instruments available provides an easy means to share with other children.
- Worry-free guarantee means you don’t need to worry about giving your 5 year old a mini-computer that she likely will end up finding a way to break.
- Great for trips, plane rides, or other times a child needs to entertain themselves without being able to move around.
- Included subscription includes a wide variety of children’s books to read – it’s not all fun and games!
- If you haven’t already bought into the Amazon “Co-Prosperity Sphere” of content, you’ll need to – it’s not worth much without the content Amazon provides.
- Amazon parental controls take a little time to learn how to use effectively.
Want to get your 5 year old a tablet, but afraid of quickly they might break it? The Fire 7 Kids Edition is a great tablet for you.
You get a powerful 7-inch tablet in a kid-proof stand – made for little girls hands to be able to grasp easily. The included year of Amazon Free Time provides access to age-appropriate apps, games, books and content from names you know, like PBS Kids, Disney and Nickelodeon. Parental controls leave you in charge of what your 5 year old watches.
And since kids will be kids…if she ends up breaking this Kindle during the first two years by dropping, stomping, spilling, throwing or the multitude of other ways kids break toys, you can simply return it to Amazon to get a replacement. That’s the worry-free guarantee.
These devices come with 16GB of internal storage, but you’ll likely want to invest in an SD card to give you some more space to save content for your child. Prices on flash memory have dropped so much you’ll be amazed how much storage you’ll be able to get for cheap.
- Perfect for exploring a bit away from home – yet not too far!
- Great for your 5 year old to keep up with adults on walks around the neighborhood.
- Different colors are available so she can express her unique style.
- While better than most scooters, small wheel sizes can get caught on smaller potholes and rocks.
- The scooter is pretty stable, but a helmet is a must!
This scooter from Radio Flyer will allow your 5 year old girl to get outside and explore the world. At her age, she’s ready to head down the driveway and onto the sidewalks – to get a little taste of independence while still under the protective eye of adults.
It’s constructed of high-quality materials so it should last. The handlebars are adjustable so there is some room for the toy to grow with her. The three-wheel design adds much more stability than you’d find in a normal 2 wheel scooter. The Lean-to-Steer technology is unique. Your daughter will lean to a side with the handlebars and the wheels will turn. This helps to prevent oversteering that can lead to falls on other toys.
While the wheels are much bigger than some other scooters, she’ll still need to be aware of some rocks and cracks.
- Adjustable height means it will grow with your girl.
- Folds down easily for quick storage.
- The different sizes of chalk and markers help develop fine motor skills.
- A great way to share a love of drawing with friends or family.
- This toy requires assembly which can be a deal breaker for some.
If your child is stoked to draw but you don’t want the hassle of buying and throwing away reams of artwork-filled paper, this easel is for you. Both the chalkboard and dry-erase sides are erasable – so when your artist moves on to a new work the board will follow. It can be used on both sides at teh same time so your girl can use this toy to play with a friend at the same time.
The adjustable height is a great feature – your child will be able to use this for years to come without having to hunch over to draw. It comes with chalk and an eraser, along with a brush – but you’ll want to make sure you get more chlak on your own. With how fun this toy is, you’ll need it!
What We Like About The NextX Kids Adjustable Easel
- Great toy to inspire imaginatively and role-playing for girls.
- Big enough for 5 year old children to play with but stores easily.
- Perfect for playdates – many kids can comfortably play together at once.
- Solid construction means this should outlast your child’s interest in it.
- You will need to assemble this toy. Be prepared with a power drill to save yourself time and anguish.
- You might notice the lack of counter space – your child probably could care less!
Most 5 year olds are fascinated by the kitchen, and how it’s the realm of “big people”. Now you can get your child their own pretend kitchen to work and play in!
This play-set comes with everything a young girl needs to play house. There’s a playset, along with cookware, dishes and a recycle bin. You’ll find 20 pieces when you buy this toy.
While role-play is very important to preschool children, you’ll also help develop their relationship skills since this kitchen is great for inviting friends to play.
- Great functionality in a small package.
- 5 year old girls will love playing the role of director with the built-in cameras.
- A lot cheaper than a Fitbit or Apple Watch!
- Heavy video usage can drain the battery in less than a day – not great if you rely on it primarily for a watch.
- Colorful design might seem childish to tween-aged children.
This smartwatch is really a mini-smartphone – without internet access or GPS. Why do I say that? It has 2 cameras, a microphone, games built-in, and can function as a pedometer. That’s a lot of features in a little package!
Parents and kids can download the pictures and videos to a PC where they can be kept or viewed by all. It’s very intuitive to use – and while not waterproof it is “splash proof” so the occasional spill or drop should brick the watch. It’s a great toy if you think your child feels left out not having a “smart” device.
- Easy to control and get into the air – but still helps to build patience.
- Flight control builds hand-eye coordination to keep the kite soaring in the air.
- You need to get outside to use this toy – and 5 year old girl will!
- You’ll need to help younger children with assembly.
- You need some space and decent weather to play with this toy.
Good kites are under-rated toys. There’s something hard-wired in most girls that makes she want to fly a kite on a warm, sunny day. This kite makes that easy enough for 5 year olds.
The design makes it surprisingly easy to get – and stay -airborne. It won’t entertain your children for multiple hours at a time, but they will continue to come back to this toy as they grow through the years. The colorful pattern will bring a smile to both you and your child’s face.
- Allows children to learn the alphabet and reading skill at their own, independent pace.
- Audiobook feature is great for car rides – just use headphones and your child is entertained.
- The pen is well-sized for young hands, and nearly indestructible.
- Workbooks aren’t cheap, and really are one-time-use only.
- The system is easy for kids, but there’s a learning curve for parents to set it up.
This comprehensive learning system will fast-track your child towards reading independence. The Leap Frog turns learning about reading and writing into a game – making learning fun. When your child is done with the initial book and audio titles, there are over 150 more available on a wide range of topics. This means there will be SOMETHING your child wants to read.
One pro tip to keep content costs down – head to your local thrift store or Goodwill to get used books. Just make sure to check they work with the current generation of Tag books.
Helps To Develop: “Communication Development, Focus, Thinking Skills”
- Encourages exploration of the world around us – kids will love heading outdoors with this toy.
- Meant to be handled by litle girl, they are less sensitive to damage by drops than adult binoculars.
- Your 5 year old will find many ways to work this toy into creative play.
- Not very powerful magnification (2x) – but wide field of view.
- Adults won’t get much use out of them since they are built for a 5 year old’s eye-to-eye width.
These brightly-colored binoculars are built from the ground up for pre-schoolers looking to explore nature in the world around them. The eye pieces are oversized and focus-free meaning your 5 year old will be able to pick them up and begin using them immediately. The break-away neck strap makes sure no toddler is hurt accidentally by a wrapped strap.
This toy allows children to emulate their adult role-models when out on a hike or bird-watching, without you having to fear they might damage an expensive pair of optics. Meant to handle drops and bumps from a girl, they should last through months and years of use.
Did I mention they list for $15? You can often find them on sale as well. An affordable gift for any Age::.
Helps To Develop: “Outside Play, Exploration, Role Playing”
- Scaled for younger children – won’t be too hard to master.
- Easy to assemble and use – just step on and try to stay standing!
- Small size and play area means it’s great to use almost anywhere.
- One of the better toys for 5 year old girls.
- While well-made, most children over 7 will be too large to comfortably use. Therefore the lifespan is limited.
- Small toddlers might need some help using this toy.
We all want our 5 year old girls to be active and moving. This balance board not only accomplishes getting them up off the couch, but they’ll have fun and improve their balance at the same time!
Made of a sturdy wood construction, your 5 year old will be able to entertain themselves for hours inside the house and out. It’s great to use while doing another activity – having your child use it while watching TV is one example.
The best balance board toys are not only fun to play with, but they also help to develop spatial awareness, balance, and coordination. In addition, there is research that using balance boards can help increase attention span and focusing ability in children.
Our Process For Selecting The Best Toys And Gifts For 5 year old girls
We spend weeks writing all of our toy review and gift guides. We know you rely on our input, and we take that trust seriously. Our writers and editors have spent approximately 19 hours researching and testing the most popular toys for 5 year old girls that you can find on the market in December 2020.
All of this time and resources are spent to bring this toy guide to you – we’ve put in the time to make sure our recommendations are ones you can trust.
We also update these lists daily. That’s because we don’t want to provide you with toys that are no longer in-stock – a gift you can’t buy isn’t worth much to you, no matter how cool it might be. We have reviewed many more toys than we list in this guide – and many of them are good but not quite as great as the ones that made the cut.
As toys move in and out of stock, the list will change. We want this list to help you get the best toys you can for your 5 year old this Holiday season.
Frequently Asked Questions About Toys for Five-Year-Old Girls
How do I introduce a new gift to my five-year-old daughter?
My little girl is picky about gifts; she has her likes and dislikes. I want to expand my five-year-old daughter’s interests by introducing a new type of toy. How do I do that?
Your five-year-old girl is old enough that you can have a sensible conversation with her. Talk to her about the new gift. If she shows an interest, then go ahead and give her the new toy.
You could take her shopping and watch her reaction in the toys aisle. She may show an interest in a different type of toy or activity. Encourage her by buying it for her as a gift. She may surprise you and herself by indicating interest in a toy opposite to the kind she usually likes.
Another way to introduce a new kind of toy to your five-year-old is to play with the unique gift. Show her how the gift works, what the toy can do. Your enthusiasm may inspire her to try the new toy because it looks like fun when mommy is playing with it.
How do I select the best gift for five-year-old girls?
Five-year-old girls and boys have individual preferences in likes, dislikes, interests, and hobbies. The best gift for five-year-old girls is the toys that complement their hobbies and interests. If you’re not sure if your little girl is going to like a gift, here are some signs that may help you decide what to select from the toy gift guide.
As a well-mannered little girl, she’ll thank you for the gift, but it doesn’t mean she is going to play with it. Her initial reaction to the toy may tell you if you bought her the right gift. She’ll be all smiles, showing her delight, and eager to play with the present. If she doesn’t like it, she could say thank you because you taught her well, but she may not be able to hide her dissatisfaction with the gift.
One of the best gifts to buy a child is a fun and educational toy. The items in our toys gift guide are selected with the skills a five-year-old should develop and strengthen. Gifts in recommended age groups usually focus on helping the child develop specific skills while having fun playing with the toy.
Your kid’s safety is always a priority. When buying a gift for a child, always ensure the toy is safe. Check which safety guidelines the manufacturers followed when designing and producing the toy. Make sure the materials used are non-toxic, fire-resistant, BPA-free, and non-irritant against the skin.
Should I only buy gifts made for five-year-old girls?
Most five-year-old girls prefer receiving gifts in their recommended age group because these toys are designed for them. Each age group has its unique milestones and development of specific skills and abilities. Toy gifts are made to address these milestones and stages. The best gift for a girl or boy is a toy that stimulates and strengthens these skills and abilities.
Children tend to prefer playing with toys in their age group because they’ve outgrown toys for younger kids, and gifts for older kids are too mature for their abilities. Each child, however, is unique and develops at her own pace. The recommended age is essential, but it is necessary to consider the milestones your child has reached, her interests, her hobbies, and which skills she has developed, and which needs help. Your daughter may struggle with certain toys for five-year-olds and is more comfortable playing with toys for younger kids, or the opposite may be the case. Her age group games may bore her while games in older age groups stimulate and challenge her.
Is my five-year-old ready to play games?
I noticed you have games on your toy gift guide. Are five-year-old children mature enough to play games on family game night?
Yes, that is why we added games to the toy gift guide. She is ready to understand that games are fun to play, even though there are rules to follow. Gifts like board games help with social development and teach social skills. When playing with family and friends, your little girl learns about taking turns, following rules, and how to be a good sport if she doesn’t win.
Your five-year-old may initially struggle with the concept of winning and losing. The more the family plays age-appropriate games, she will learn that having fun is more important than always winning. Choose games that are recommended for her age so that she can understand the game rules and join in the family fun.
Some games your five-year-old can play by herself that help develops and strengthen skills. Games that require color matching or counting are great gifts for your little girl.
Should I only buy gifts in known brands for my child?
We tend to buy toy gifts in known brands because these companies have proven themselves. If you’ve bought one product of excellent quality, you lean towards buying more gifts in the same brand.
New brands are often cheaper as a marketing strategy to penetrate a competitive market. Cheaper doesn’t necessarily mean poor quality. It is good to try new brands. Newer brands may surpass the famous brand in quality, function, or detail. If you never buy lesser or unknown brands, you may never discover these new brands that provide quality toys often at lower prices. Famous brands may be pricy because of the brand name; it doesn’t mean they don’t have any competition.
Some lesser-known brands, however, sell poor quality toys made from substandard and unsafe materials. The toys are presented as having similar features than the well-known brand, but the toy isn’t as sturdy, durable, or functions the way it was advertised. Imitator brand copy the gifts of famous brands and market it as being the ‘same,’ but it isn’t. Beware of imitators.
If you’re not sure if you should take the chance on buying gifts for five-year-old girls from an unknown brand, read reviews of parents who have purchased the product. You’ll soon enough find out the pros and cons of the gift and the brand.