It’s not always easy to shop for six year old boys. While it’s true they can communicate and give you an idea of what some of their interests are, they also tend to change their mind – A LOT. It’s not that they are fickle so much that they are dreamers – and love looking at the possibilities of the future.
While shopping for your first-grader can seem like a difficult task, don’t worry. Shopping for boys or girls gifts just takes some knowledge of where they are developmentally, and what they like to do.
You need to have the courage not only to pick a gift that is “peer approved” but also one that reflects how much you care for your 6 year old boy. We’ve selected some gifts that check both the boxes to help you in your quest.
We also tried to pick toys that will last and have some replay value – so your child can get some use from your present and remember you in the years to come. The world doesn’t need your gift to end up as garbage in a landfill come March of next year.
Finally, in acknowledgement that no one gift is “the best” for all kids, we’ve selected a wide variety of toys that should appeal to kids with different interests. Our individual toy headings should give you a good idea what type of kid would love each toy. Hopefully you find something to match the child you are shopping for.
The Quick Rundown: Our Top toys for 6 year old boys
A perfect gift for the kid that loves to create things with their own hands.
Our Process For Selecting The Best Toys For 6 year old boys
We spend weeks writing all of our toy review and gift guides. We know you rely on our input, and we take that trust seriously. Our writers and editors have spent approximately 28 hours researching and testing the most popular toys for 6 year old boys that you can find on the market in September 2020.
All of this time and resources are spent to bring this toy guide to you – we’ve put in the time to make sure our recommendations are ones you can trust.
We also update these lists daily. That’s because we don’t want to provide you with toys that are no longer in-stock – a gift you can’t buy isn’t worth much to you, no matter how cool it might be. We have reviewed many more toys than we list in this guide – and many of them are good but not quite as great as the ones that made the cut.
As toys move in and out of stock, the list will change. We want this list to help you get the best toys you can for your 6 year old this Holiday season.
- Made in the USA of BPA-free, recycled milk jugs.
- Easy to clean – it’s dishwasher safe so cleanup is a breeze!
- Your 6 year old boy will build both fine and gross motor skills playing with this set.
- Great for tub play as well.
- Built to last for years of play.
- You pay extra for the Earth-friendly construction.
If your young ::age:: boy is looking for a toy tea set to go along with tea time, the Green Toys Tea Set is a great choice. he can play while being nice to the environment at the same time. You see, these tea cups, pots, plates, creamer and sugar bowl are all made of food-grade recycled materials. This is awesome because it means you can actually drink from the set without worrying about hot water melting plastic or leeching and undesirable chemicals.
This tea set is wonderful. The toy items are sturdy while still being small enough for little hand’s to easily handle. It is safe to eat and drink from, washes easily, and quite resistant to scratches and blemishes. Some people aren’t aware that toy manufacturers now have to put little holes to prevent suffocation in any toy a young boy might jam in their mouth. The sugar bowl is the one in this set with the holes – so if you pour a powder in the bowl, it won’t stay there!
These cups are kid-sized, not doll-sized – so they’ll be able to drink more than a sip when playing make-believe. It’s one of the best tea sets out there for kids!
- Made in the USA.
- Easy to store – just fold it up and put it away
- Constructed of hard plastic for years of use.
- Great for 6 year old boys that weigh up to 50 lbs.
- Quick assembly time.
- Made for both inside and outside play.
- The more adventurous children among us may become bored with this slide as they get older.
- More expensive than no-name branded slides. You pay for the Little Tykes brand quality.
Sometimes the weather isn’t good enough to take your child out for playground fun. With the Little Tikes Easy Store Large Slide you can bring the outside fun indoors! This toy is portable – just fold the slide up and easily move it indoors or out.
It’s sturdy enough that you don’t need to worry about your boy tipping this toy over on accident. There’s a wide base and a low center of gravity. The sides of the stairs are a perfect handrail for little hands. Stuffed animals like riding this slide almost as much as little boys!
Best Subscription Box For 6 year old boys:
Kiwi Crate by KiwiCo
For boys 5 to 8 Years of age
- Encourages a tinkering mindset through experimentation
- Parents can engage with their children in some quality time.
- Created toys are well-made and generally have good replay value.
- You need to create the toy/project in order to have something to play with.
- Subscription is an unique gift-type and can be hard to explain to a child when you give the gift.
The Kiwi Crate by Kiwico is a great way to keep your 6 year old boy excited about science through play throughout the year. This isn’t one toy – instead, you buy a three month, six month or 1 yr subscription and “crates” are delivered every month. Inside you’ll find maker projects that help your child explore art, science, and engineering. We’ve reviewed quite a few of these crates over the years – and our reviewer families have raved about their value and fun-factor.
Each month contains projects and readings centered around a different theme. The instructions are easy to read, but also include additional information for those kids looking for a more in-depth treatment of the subject. I’ve recommended these kits to my family members – and I now I’m recommending them to you.
- There’s nothing better for gaining balance skills to prepare for a “big-boy” bike.
- Looks very similar to bikes ridden by Mom and Dad.
- Provides age-appropriate mobility so he can explore the world.
- No flat tires and limited moving parts make for easy maintenance for parents.
- Helps develop hand-eye coordination and improve motor skills for your 6 year old.
- Not everyone loves the ride of no-air tires due to harder ride.
- The foot rest may rub against the smallest riders feet and ankles depending on their form.
A balance bike is a great choice for your boy that has places to be! Unlike many tricycle or regular bikes, balance bikes don’t have pedals. Instead, kids use their feet to push around “Flintstones-style”. This is much easier for a 6 year old to master, and helps to quickly develop the balance skills needed to graduate to a regular bicycle.
This bike is adjustable so your child will be able to use it as boy ages. he will likely move to a real bike long before outgrowing this toy.
This model is especially nice because of it’s low center of gravity – it’s easier to control. Most children over 6 will be too big for this balance bike, but it will depend on the height and skill of the individual boy. Each child grows differently.
- Teaches strategic thinking, teamwork, social skills and planning to your 6 year old boy.
- Has won numerous awards for it’s great mix of fun and skill building.
- Great for playing with children of different maturity levels for boys and girls.
- Good replay value.
- Games are relatively quick – this might be a good thing depending on the situation but something to be aware of.
- Pre-teen children and up won’t be entertained for long.
Most board games for kids are competitive – and frankly there’s nothing wrong with that. Sometimes it’s nice for a family to have a game they work together to win, rather than against each other. This is particularly the case if you have a child that is CONSTANTLY getting beaten at games by an older sibling.
In Peaceable Kingdom, players work together as a team against the game, not each other. Besides creating a team, this allows for your 6 year old to learn to share, include others, and build up confidence for themselves and teammates. Each player is an owl that has gone out exploring at night, but now needs to get back home before the sun gets up. If all owls get home before the sun comes up, you are a winner!
- Included experiments are age-appropriate and fun for the family to work together.
- Great for bathtub and sandbox play when younger, but grows into science experiments as your child ages.
- High replay value since equipment can be used to do other experiments available for free on the internet.
- While most are common household items, you need to provide the ingredients for the experiments.
Encourage interest in science and experimental learning with this award-winning lab set. The Learning Resources Primary Science Lab set comes with a ton of kid-friendly science tools. All 12 pieces are correctly sized for 6 year old children to be able to handle.
Younger boys might just use the toy to play make-believe unless you or another adult take them step by step through the instructions. On the other hand, older children can use the included experiment cards to learn more about the physical world around them. Once you’ve gone through all the included experiments, you are free to use the equipment to tackle other experiments about the world around you.
- Easily fits two to three children for great social interactions.
- Nonlinear nature of impromptu shows gives high replay value.
- One of the best toys for developing story-telling ability.
- Doesn’t fold up for storage – an issue if space is tight.
- It’s strictly BYOP – Bring Your Own Puppets.
Your future Oscar winners will love to put their imagination into overdrive when playing with this sturdy puppet theater. The idea of a “stage” allows their creative juices to flow. 6 year old can take turns creating skits or watching their friends – either way it’s a load of fun.
It doesn’t take long to assemble, and is made of high-quality wood- meaning it should survive through years of play. Expect to see your youngsters coming back to this toy time and time again.
What We Like About The Melissa & Doug Puppet Theater
- Self-propelled nature of toy both builds up muscle development and helps to burn off energy in your 6 year old.
- While relatively easy to use, there is some skill needed to spin fast. This helps to keep the replay value high.
- In simplest terms: Most boys think it’s really fun to spin.
- Really only appropriate for boys who can move about on their own – so you’ll need to judge if your child is ready.
- Not every kid likes to get dizzy. Most parents don’t like to clean up after children that don’t like to get dizzy. :)
The Playskool Sit ‘n Spin is a fun toy geared towards boys developed enough to sit up on their own. Children control their speed through their own arm power, which both allows them to control the speed and burn off tons of energy at the same time. This is especially helpful when kids are cooped up inside during winter months without many outlets for pent-up ::gender::-power. While it’s simple, it is extremely fun. It’s definitely one of the best toys for 6 year old boy.
This isn’t a new toy – I played with and loved one of these as a child myself. They last for many years, and kids will play with them from the pre-2 age all the way up to 6-7 years old.
- Jumping helps your 6 year old boy develop muscles and balance while burning off energy.
- Tramp comes with a long list of safety features to make jumping as safe as it can be.
- Your kid’s friends will always be over at your place when you are the ‘trampoline house’.
- Parents need to supervise play – there are dangers involved if instructions aren’t followed.
- This isn’t a small toy. You need to have dedicated space in your backyard to set up and jump.
As we mentioned in our outdoor trampolines review, we think this toy is a winner. Safety is a prime concern in the design of this model. It’s so important, Skywalker has made sure this model exceeds all American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) requirements.
We like the ‘W’ supports – they give more stability to the trampoline. The padded poles and enclosure net are well-made and help to keep your 6 year old is safe. The basketball hoop is a nice touch – it has a breakaway rim and even comes with 2 basketballs. It’ll keep your children and friends entertained for hours at a time. A great gift.
- Both camera lenses have an 8-megapixel photo resolution to take high-quality photos.
- The camera is designed for kids and is easy to operate.
- The screen is 2.3 inches, which is larger than most camera screens for kids.
- SD memory card isn’t included in the purchase.
The Joytrip Kids Digital Camera is a dual-lens camera with 8 Megapixels and a camcorder with FHD 1080P video resolution that’s perfect for little 6 year old boy hands! With a 2.3 inches screen, budding photographers can show off their photography skills. The automatic face tracking feature recognizes faces to capture the best smiley moments.
Replaying the videos or look at the funny photos created with the 21 frames creates hours of fun. The 1000mAh lithium rechargeable battery won’t cut the fun-time short because it lasts for 4-6 hours. Recharging takes 4-5 hours.
Hanging the camera around the child’s neck with the lanyard will help keep the camera from falling. If it does fall, don’t sweat it too much. The camera is made of soft silicone material that is safe against a child’s skin and is also shockproof should the camera fall.
The USB charger and a micro SD card reader are included in the package but not the SD card. The camera supports up to a 32 GB card.
- Large selection of instruments means more hours of play and exploration for your 6 year old.
- Multiple toys enable sharing and playing with others.
- Builds hand-eye coordination which is important at this age.
- Very reasonably priced for what you get.
- You and your 6 year old boy’s idea of “music” are sure to differ. Prepare yourself with earplugs beforehand. :)
Twenty-four months is the earliest most boys express interest in playing with musical instruments. Satisfy that creative curiosity with this set of musical instruments. You’ll get maracas, a xylophone, blocks, a drum and sleigh bells with this set. You’ll also appreciate the carrying bag – it’s great to store the instruments when needed, and will come in handy when you take them for a play date or overnight trip.
The wide range of instruments give your 6 year old a chance to explore different sounds and styles of musical play. The variety also helps to prevent toy boredom and burnout. As your young boy ages and begins to socialize more, having numerous instruments available provides an easy means to share with other children.
- Worry-free guarantee means you don’t need to worry about giving your 6 year old a mini-computer that he likely will end up finding a way to break.
- Great for trips, plane rides, or other times a child needs to entertain themselves without being able to move around.
- Included subscription includes a wide variety of children’s books to read – it’s not all fun and games!
- If you haven’t already bought into the Amazon “Co-Prosperity Sphere” of content, you’ll need to – it’s not worth much without the content Amazon provides.
- Amazon parental controls take a little time to learn how to use effectively.
Want to get your 6 year old a tablet, but afraid of quickly they might break it? The Fire 7 Kids Edition is a great tablet for you.
You get a powerful 7-inch tablet in a kid-proof stand – made for little boys hands to be able to grasp easily. The included year of Amazon Free Time provides access to age-appropriate apps, games, books and content from names you know, like PBS Kids, Disney and Nickelodeon. Parental controls leave you in charge of what your 6 year old watches.
And since kids will be kids…if he ends up breaking this Kindle during the first two years by dropping, stomping, spilling, throwing or the multitude of other ways kids break toys, you can simply return it to Amazon to get a replacement. That’s the worry-free guarantee.
These devices come with 16GB of internal storage, but you’ll likely want to invest in an SD card to give you some more space to save content for your child. Prices on flash memory have dropped so much you’ll be amazed how much storage you’ll be able to get for cheap.
- It has everything to help put your kid into an imaginary world of fun, quickly.
- Can handle quite a bit of normal-play punishment.
- Some people never outgrow Star Wars – this toy could last for many years of play as your child grows.
- You know how Disney was able to afford to buy the Star Wars franchise? Take a look at the price tag.
- Your child will need at least two of these to play with others.
The only way your little Star Wars fan could have more fun with this toy would be if it were made of plasma, not plastic. It has everything you’d expect – the lights, sounds and feel of a high-quality Disney toy.
It can handle not only imaginary play, but also some real-world swordplay as well. It’s not indestructible – if kids try to break these, they certainly can. But it will hold up well under the normal rigors of daily play.
- Adjustable height means it will grow with your boy.
- Folds down easily for quick storage.
- The different sizes of chalk and markers help develop fine motor skills.
- A great way to share a love of drawing with friends or family.
- This toy requires assembly which can be a deal breaker for some.
If your child is stoked to draw but you don’t want the hassle of buying and throwing away reams of artwork-filled paper, this easel is for you. Both the chalkboard and dry-erase sides are erasable – so when your artist moves on to a new work the board will follow. It can be used on both sides at teh same time so your boy can use this toy to play with a friend at the same time.
The adjustable height is a great feature – your child will be able to use this for years to come without having to hunch over to draw. It comes with chalk and an eraser, along with a brush – but you’ll want to make sure you get more chlak on your own. With how fun this toy is, you’ll need it!
What We Like About The NextX Kids Adjustable Easel
- Great functionality in a small package.
- 6 year old boys will love playing the role of director with the built-in cameras.
- A lot cheaper than a Fitbit or Apple Watch!
- Heavy video usage can drain the battery in less than a day – not great if you rely on it primarily for a watch.
- Colorful design might seem childish to tween-aged children.
This smartwatch is really a mini-smartphone – without internet access or GPS. Why do I say that? It has 2 cameras, a microphone, games built-in, and can function as a pedometer. That’s a lot of features in a little package!
Parents and kids can download the pictures and videos to a PC where they can be kept or viewed by all. It’s very intuitive to use – and while not waterproof it is “splash proof” so the occasional spill or drop should brick the watch. It’s a great toy if you think your child feels left out not having a “smart” device.
- It is very interactive – your child will be able to get deep into the Toy Story universe with this toy.
- It lights up, makes sounds from the movie, and MOVES!
- It’s sturdy – meant to handle drops and falls that come with the territory of being a toy for 6 year olds
- Size is great for easy storage.
- Some people prefer the 11 inch size to this 7 inch toy
- There’s no volume, so it only produces sounds at one level. This could get annoying over time.
Your 6 year old boy will be ecstatic playing as Buzz with the Disney Pixar Toy Story Ultimate Walking Buzz Lightyear action figure. At seven inches tall, it’s quite easy to fit in a backpack or bag to take to a friend’s house. This toy has ALL the features!
Turn the toy ON by pressing the button under Buzz’s arm. Deploy his wings and hear him say his famous catchphrases by hitting the big red button on his side. Fire his blaster for “laser” lights and authentic blaster sounds.
There’s a great mix of real-world features to go with the make-believe play this toy will instill in young boys. That’s what makes this on of the great toys for 6 year old boy – it’s ability to come alive for your child during play.
Codey Rocky is a GREAT toy for learning how to code. 6 year old programmers can use the associated app to get up and running quickly. There’s plenty to do with this robot without moving on from just app-based play. Your inquisitive boy can move and play with the robot really quickly in this mode.
Once the Codey Rocky is attached to your PC you can use an easy-to-learn block-based language to program the robot. If this is too limiting, you can also use the popular programming language python to expand your choice enormously. This should give your 6 year old years of play as your child moves up the programming skill curve.
- Easy to control and get into the air – but still helps to build patience.
- Flight control builds hand-eye coordination to keep the kite soaring in the air.
- You need to get outside to use this toy – and 6 year old boy will!
- You’ll need to help younger children with assembly.
- You need some space and decent weather to play with this toy.
Good kites are under-rated toys. There’s something hard-wired in most boys that makes he want to fly a kite on a warm, sunny day. This kite makes that easy enough for 6 year olds.
The design makes it surprisingly easy to get – and stay -airborne. It won’t entertain your children for multiple hours at a time, but they will continue to come back to this toy as they grow through the years. The colorful pattern will bring a smile to both you and your child’s face.
- Learn about the world through fun projects every month
- Gift will continue to be appreciated month-0after-month as new crates arrive.
- It’s great for boys to show creativity and appreciation for the world they live in.
- At this age, most of the projects can be completed with very little parental help. This builds self-confidence.
- Not every child is into exploring other cultures. If your kid is in this category, this toy isn’t for them.
The Atlas Crate by Kiwico is perfect for 6 year old boys that love traveling and learning more about the world. This package isn’t one toy – instead, you buy a one-time subscription and “crates” are delivered throughout the year. The Atlas Crate is different than most subscription crates – focused more on different places and cultures around the world.
As the crates come month after month and more projects are completed, your child will build their own adventure book. My child really loved building his own globe in one project. If your kid is interested in the people in the world and the places they come from, this gift will be appreciated.
- Allows children to learn the alphabet and reading skill at their own, independent pace.
- Audiobook feature is great for car rides – just use headphones and your child is entertained.
- The pen is well-sized for young hands, and nearly indestructible.
- Workbooks aren’t cheap, and really are one-time-use only.
- The system is easy for kids, but there’s a learning curve for parents to set it up.
This comprehensive learning system will fast-track your child towards reading independence. The Leap Frog turns learning about reading and writing into a game – making learning fun. When your child is done with the initial book and audio titles, there are over 150 more available on a wide range of topics. This means there will be SOMETHING your child wants to read.
One pro tip to keep content costs down – head to your local thrift store or Goodwill to get used books. Just make sure to check they work with the current generation of Tag books.
Helps To Develop: “Communication Development, Focus, Thinking Skills”
How To Choose Appropriate Toys For 6-Year Old Boys
It’s a world of contrast for a 6-year old. Choosing the appropriate toy for him will be as much fun as him playing with the toy.
He’s no longer in kindergarten but not yet as comfortable with the real world of school, friends, and being without his parents. Learning to read, discovering science and experiments along with his physical development is the key to entering a world – one that until now he only had access to as an onlooker. He can be in this world of grown-ups where he independently can read by himself, enjoy social events like birthday parties with friends, and explore his newfound athletic skills.
In conjunction with discovering this new world, is the range of toys he is exposed to. Toys that as a 5-year old he couldn’t benefit from are now there to play with. How could he read about his heroes in comics if he couldn’t read?
What Developmental Skills Are Nurtured By Great Toys
Every toy is different, and so are the kind of toys that are appropriate for a specific age. All good toys, however, complement specific development needs for the child within that age group. For 6-year old boys, the needs vary from physical, emotional and mental maturity.
When we created this list of the Best Toys for 6-Year Old Boys, we first looked at what skills are the most pressing for a boy entering this new world. We then looked for fun toys that help build these abilities.
Here’s a list of skills we think should be strengthened with toys for boys at this development milestones.
As they become more independent of their parents, they need peer acceptance. Toys that promote social relationships will help them in forming friendships, teach them to share their toys, and develop their self-confidence.
Boys enjoy physical action, competing against others, and playing in teams. They can improve their social skills with group play toys that teach them assertiveness, strategies, patience, and admitting when they’ve made a mistake.
At school, they are learning to read and write. To help him improve his writing skills, choose toys that develop finer motor skills and his hand-eye coordination. Hobbies, crafts, and toys that manipulate strengthen these skills.
Motor Skill Development
When he’s been in school most of his day, playtime becomes more important. At six he is developing his athletic abilities and needs toys that will help him develop his gross motor skills even more. Action toys, riding toys, and sports equipment will help your child build strength in his arms and legs.
By developing his reading and writing skills, he is also improving his speech and language skills. They like to write stories about themselves. Although they are learning to read, they still enjoy listening while others read stories to them. Toys that focus on these skills will help them develop their communication abilities.
Consider These 6 Toy Qualities When Out Shopping For Your Gift
Toys that improve the athletic abilities must safely accommodate the clumsy, awkward movements of a 6-year old’s body. To prevent nasty injuries, give him sports gear like helmets and knee and arm pads with the sports equipment and riding toys.
He is going to experiment and copy at home what he learned in science at school. Make sure the toys are not flammable, and electric toys are played with under adult supervision.
The kind of toys a first-grader enjoys need to be made of good materials to survive the play. Action toys, riding toys, and other activity toys will take a thrashing. Combine his improved motor skills with his imagination and its not only the bad guys that will receive an aggressive beating.
Action toys can challenge a 6-year old’s physical and mental skills. Toys he played with while in kindergarten won’t be as stimulating as the toys that help him experience the new world he finds himself in.
Playing with friends and in teams is fun for most boys of this age. Choosing the right toys and he will find reading and writing fun, and not associate it with homework and being embarrassed in school because he couldn’t pronounce the word.
The kind of toy you select for an active 6-year old boy will determine its lifespan. Some toys won’t last a season, no matter what you paid for it. Other toys will outlast him and his children.
Warranty and Warning Labels
Manufacturer’s warning labels guide you in choosing age-appropriate toys. The reasons for the age restriction is to protect children from accidentally injuring themselves or others. For a first grader, choose toys that labels specify 6+ and not 7+ or older. The maturity of the specific child is also important. Perhaps it’s safer for your child to play with 5+ toys.
Frequently Asked Questions About Toys for 6-Year-Old Boys
Is it a good idea for my 6-year-old son to play games during meals?
With the hectic schedules today, dinner time is often the only time families are together. Sitting around the time table, having dinner is a great time to bond and stay up to date with your family. It is also healthier than eating in front of the television or bringing tablets and smartphones to the table. By prohibiting gadgets, toys, smartphones, and tablets at the table, you’ll inspire communication and healthy conversations.
If you allow your 6-year-old to play with his toys at the dinner table, he misses out in family time. You are also creating a habit that won’t benefit him. Being overweight is a global issue. One way of avoiding overweight and obese problems is to focus on what you eat and to eat slowly. If your child is playing with a toy at six, he won’t focus on what he is eating. Soon as a teenager, he will be shoving food into his mouth while playing on his tablet or socializing on his smartphone.
What are the best toys for 6-year-old boys?
You can’t go wrong with trucks, cars, construction, building, LEGO, rockets, and dinosaurs, and more dinosaurs! Your 6-year-old boy is no longer a toddler; he is getting ready for school or is already a first-grade in the big world. As he discovers new things at school, friends’ homes, and media, his interests expand, and so does the variety of toys he likes.
Although they are moving over to role-playing, pretend play is still a dominant factor in your boy’s playtime. Your 6-year-old is learning about the world outside his home environment, and he is bringing it into his play activities. Toys that help him comprehend and associate with the real thing are great gifts for a 6-year-old boy. It helps him to adjust and to grasp the reality of the outside world.
Are coding toys only for children who know how to code?
Kids learn to code in school. Many children, however, play with toys that teach them the basic coding principles before they go to school. Coding toys designed for 6-year-old boys will teach your child the principles without him needing to know anything about coding.
Coding toys are great gifts for 6-year-old boys. It may create an interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) topics, which may benefit him at school and his future. It is like introducing the alphabet letters with building blocks to a child who can’t read. When he learns to read, he is already familiar with the alphabet. Coding toys work the same way. By the time your son is learning to code at school, he is already familiar with many of the basic concepts.
How much should I spend on toys for 6-year-old boys?
As parents, we like to treat our kids with the best. Your 6-year-old son will be as happy with a toy that costs you a few dollars than spending hundreds of dollars. Toys that aren’t durable and is only going to entertain him for a short while shouldn’t cost you a lot. You can buy great toys for your son for less than $30.
There is always an exception. With certain toys, the quality and brand do make a difference. Then it is recommended to spend more and buy the best toy for your 6-year-old boy in that category. Generally, however, an inexpensive toy will be good enough for having fun.